We are seeking a Sensory Manager to lead a team of sensory scientists and collaborate with cross-functional teams, such as R&D, regional Application teams, and Quality, to provide scientific sensory support for product development and commercialization and well as customer facing and commercial product support. The sensory manager will also play a pivotal role in implementing program strategies, developing new methodologies, contributing to intellectual activities, and transforming learnings to internal best practices to impact the business.
The successful candidate should demonstrate strong leadership and influencing skills, and be comfortable of making actionable decisions in the midst of ambiguity. The person in this role will be based at Tate & Lyle’s Commercial and Food Innovation Center, in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Lead and coach a team of sensory scientists, lab assistant, and descriptive panel. Engage in goal setting and performance review, strategy development and execution, budget development and maintenance. Prioritize and negotiate sensory resource.
- Interface broadly with key internal stakeholders and external customers to provide clear and timely communication and interpretation of research findings.
- Demonstrate scientific and technical leadership in sensory research. In particular,
- Assess gaps in current practice and implement approaches to improve efficiency, clarity, accuracy, and reproducibility of sensory study and data analysis.
- Identify insights and trends from metadata analysis, build predictive model, and create interactive toolkit
- Review scientific literatures and keep up with the new trend, technology, regulation, and methodology in sensory evaluation
- Train and develop more junior colleagues
- Protect intellectual properties by following policies and best practices in knowledge management, IP execution, and information sharing
- Promote innovative expertise of Tate & Lyle by presenting research findings in Science and Education Outreach events and scientific conferences
Desired Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in Sensory, Food Science, Biostatistics, or related disciplines with minimum of 6 years work experience or Master degree with 9 years work experience. Work experience in sensory evaluation or consumer testing is required.
The successful candidate has to demonstrate the track record in the following areas:
- Management experience in a team-oriented workplace preferred. Has an ability to provide or receive constructive challenge and useful feedback. Strong work ethic and adaptable to changing business needs and priorities.
- In-depth knowledge of theory, principle, and assumption upon sensory tests and analysis methods
- Hands-on work experience in sensory testing software (e.g. EyeQuestion, Compusense, SIMS, etc.) and statistical analysis package (e.g. SAS, JMP, XLSTAT, R)
- Ability to recognize, disseminate, and reconcile information into insights and trends that advance Tate & Lyle’s ability to make better business decision.
- An ability to work in a matrix environment with strong interpersonal, influence, and communication skills.