At its core, 500px is a community of passionate photographers. Our mission is to build a platform that enables and rewards that community’s visual creativity. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website and mobile apps to find, share, and get rewarded for the world’s most inspiring photography.
We take pride in the products we ship and love what we do. Our engineering culture values mentorship, ownership, collaboration, and getting stuff done.
Our technology stack includes: React, Redux, ES6, Ruby on Rails, Python, Go, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, and various Amazon AWS services. Check out our Engineering Blog for more.
The 500px website and associated APIs are critical to our business and to our community. As a web developer you’ll be responsible for helping to deliver everything from tiny UX improvements, to broad structural changes spanning multiple codebases that require deep knowledge of React and Redux, and other web frameworks.
What You'll Be Doing
- Designing, implementing and optimizing web products used by millions of users.
- Turning product plans into code, in close collaboration with product managers, designers, and other team players.
- Becoming intimately familiar with our web applications, and forming an expert opinion about how to debug and improve them.
- Coordinating and collaborating with developers across multiple teams and tech stacks.
- Providing technical leadership and mentorship to other team members
- Helping the team prioritize, assess risk, and evaluate tradeoffs
- Helping to design and maintain the 500px systems infrastructure.
- Engaging in discussions thoughtfully, and supporting clear decision making throughout the team
What the Ideal Candidate Will Have
- A positive attitude and a strong intellectual curiosity.
- Experience shipping software at scale, with a product-focused mindset
- Experience working with web frameworks like Ruby on Rails, Django, and Express.
- Familiarity with MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Memcached, and ElasticSearch.
- A solid understanding of the pros/cons of these different tools, and sound judgement in evaluating their tradeoffs for different applications
- Expert-level knowledge of fundamental web technologies including HTTP and RESTful services, and common web security pitfalls
- Solving interesting technical problems that impact millions of users.
- Working with highly talented technical colleagues in a startup environment.
- Competitive salaries and flexible hours.
- Your choice of computer.
- Great health and dental benefits.
- Catered lunches and some of Toronto's best coffees and teas.
Our Interview Process
- Phone screen:
- Coding challenge: We'll ask you to write some code, and then share it with us to review.
- In-person interviews: 3-5 hours at our office where you'll meet multiple members of our team.
We believe diverse teams perform better, and we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to source candidates broadly, and reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.