VHB is looking for a Senior Water Resources Engineer to join our Orlando, FL office. VHB's passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship. The position offers the opportunity to be a part of our successful water resources practice that provides municipal, state and federal governmental agencies and private sector clients a full array of integrated professional water resources services including:
- Watershed / Water quality
- Stormwater management
- Ecological Restoration / wetlands and streams
- Floodplain management
- River / stream restoration
A strong candidate for this role must be competent in performing water resources engineering work and demonstrate a broad knowledge of hydrologic/ hydraulic analysis and design methods. A strong candidate will be able to independently make sound preliminary engineering decisions, develop water resource design plans, write design specifications, and plan technical reports. The candidate understands how to clearly convey the design intent to engineering drawings and specifications. The candidate has a firm grasp of the fundamentals of engineering processes and their application to operating systems. The candidate has developed a thorough understanding of construction methods and the manner in which engineering drawings and specifications are translated into the constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Promote the application of newest technologies (GIS/GPS/Civ3D, ICPR 4, Automation etc.) to bring efficiency and clarity to our water resources assignments.
- Preparation of design engineering plans and specifications for approval by municipalities and regulatory agencies.
- Prepare construction plans consistent with FDOT standards
- Perform engineering computations related to site hydrology and hydraulics (conveyance systems, analysis and design of cross drains, design of storm water management facilities, floodplain compensation analysis), earthwork, stormwater BMPs, and natural channel design structural components.
- Analyzes technical problems, assesses the feasibility of proposed techniques and procedures, and devises new approaches and alternative solutions.
- Prepares cost and man-hour estimates, job budgets and schedules.
- Design projects in accordance with client specifications and guidelines, using design software and drawing tools. Both transportation and land development projects.
- Prepare technical documents including drainage reports, pond siting reports, bridge hydraulics reports and permitting documents with minimal oversight
- Assist with QC of construction plans and design documents generated by other team members
- Assist with project pursuits (LOI, ELOI, Technical Proposals, Presentations, Manhours, etc)
- Conducts or oversees personnel involved in engineering investigations and planning work.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong technical background in hydrology and hydraulics.
- Experience and familiarity with the following programs is required: ICPR, PONDS, ASAD, GEOPAK Drainage, ArcGIS, HY-8, HEC-RAS, MicroStation, AutoCAD.
- Knowledge with preparation and review of Engineering Plans and Specifications to ensure that all aspects of project implementation are clearly conveyed.
- Team oriented with strong capability to work independently.
- Highly organized.
- Capable of coordinating and performing multiple tasks.
- Well versed in FDOT design standards and criteria related to both drainage design and plans production; able to interpret and apply technical information contained in procedures and manuals to accomplish the design process for assigned projects.
- B.S. in engineering with at least 6 years post graduate experience
- Registered Florida PE
- Knowledge of the regulatory processes in Florida
- GIS and CAD application experience are desired