Why join us?
We are hiring! Atkins is seeking a Senior Water Resources Engineer for the Denver, Colorado office.
How will you contribute to the team?
A strong candidate for this role will need to demonstrate full competency in conventional civil engineering work and broad knowledge of water resources. This individual must be competent in performing detailed design related to water resources engineering and demonstrate a broad knowledge of hydrologic and hydraulic analysis. The ideal candidate will be proficient in performing engineering design and leading design teams in production of plans, specifications, and cost estimates for bid and construction. A strong candidate will be able to independently make sound engineering decisions, develop design plans, write design specifications, and technical reports. A strong candidate will have knowledge of how flood control infrastructure, including detention basin, open channel, and gravity pipes, are constructed and will have direct design and floodplain management experience. A strong candidate will have knowledge of National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) guidelines and specifications. Knowledge of HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MicroStation, InRoads, OpenRoads Designer, and GIS is preferable.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering, and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Completes new hydrologic and hydraulic (H&H) analyses that conform to National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) guidelines and specifications. Floodplain mapping will be completed using the results from the hydraulic analyses along with digital terrain data. These tasks will involve the use of various H&H engineering software as well as Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software. Engineering databases, reports, and work maps will be developed and completed by the applicant.
- Develops Technical Engineering Documents including Reports, Specifications, Permits, Cost Estimates, Quantities, and Construction Plans.
- Plans, schedules, conducts, or coordinates detailed phases of the engineering work in a part of a major project or in a total project of moderate scope.
- Performs preliminary engineering design and analysis and / or reviews the design and drafting work of junior engineers, designers, or drafters.
- Works with external clients at progress meetings and throughout project to meet client needs, project schedules, goals, and deadlines.
- Performs quality control, guidance, and oversees of junior staff related to H&H models or methods.
- Performs quality control, maintains quality standards in work produced, checks computations and reviews design drawings.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of final plans and design reports and submits them for approval.
- Conducts or oversees personnel involved in engineering investigations and planning work.
- Coordinates work with other engineers and professionals within and outside own discipline, and with support services staff.
- Demonstrates strong project management skills. May serve as technical lead on projects with direct oversight of design staff.
- Help mentor junior staff.
- May manage or assist in the management of projects.
- May perform other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
- Assists with supervision of multidiscipline teams with staff of varying experience.
- Regularly meets and corresponds with clients, subconsultants, contractors or project stakeholders.
- Supports business development activities from identification of opportunities to preparing proposals and making presentations to clients.
- Emphasis for this role will be on the technical aspects of water resources designs (80%) but will provide business development support (20%) when needed.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering (preferably Civil Engineering with a specialization in Water Resources).
- 5-10 years of working experience with B.S.
- 4-9 years of working experience with M.S.
- P.E. License in CO is required.
- CFM certification is preferred.
- Proven technical writing and communication skills. Incumbent may be eligible for project management training.
- Active in Professional Organizations preferred (i.e. ASCE, ASFPM, etc.).
- Local working experience in Denver Metro or adjacent regions is preferred, though not exclusionary.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with proficiency in public speaking and
- Knowledge and experience with the following programs are preferred: USACE HEC-RAS & HEC-HMS, ArcGIS, AutoCAD, MicroStation, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), 2-D hydraulic modeling.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Hybrid office environment
- Travel for work is offered, but not required
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program