Ascensus is the leader in the nascent State Sponsored Auto-IRA Retirement industry, with each of the first 3 states to launch programs (California, Illinois, and Oregon) choosing Ascensus as Program Administrator. This new retirement market is poised to become the primary workplace retirement program for smaller, underserved businesses and individuals, and Ascensus is positioned to be the predominate leader in this segment as it matures.
The Vice President of State Retirement Programs reports directly to the Head of the Ascensus Government Savings division, and is responsible for managing the State Retirement business. This includes creating and delivering on the annual operating plan to achieve company objectives; owning and managing the overall P&L for the business; coordinating, prioritizing and managing all of the action plans required for successful roll-out of current and subsequent programs; working with Ascensus' Centers of Excellence (technology, marketing, client services, business development, finance, etc.) to optimize the performance of the business; and owning the client relationships and the product roadmaps for the business. This highly visible role will have direct responsibility for a dynamic, large start-up business. This position must be able to work collaboratively with Senior leadership peers within the Government Savings division. The ability to apply critical thinking and analysis in support of maintaining superior operational performance is a core requirement of the role, particularly in a rapidly growing / changing environment.
***Relocation Assistance is available!***
- Primary senior leadership responsibility for the operations of the State Retirement business: devise strategies and formulate policies to ensure that operating goals and objectives of the organization are met
- Oversee and coordinate all of the activities within the State Retirement business. Specifically, organize and 'operationalize' the activities, positioning the business as an individual business line.
- Own and manage the annual budget, P&L, and operating plan for the business
- Responsible for organizational planning and annual staffing plans, as well as the allocation of critical resources against strategic objectives
- Identification, evaluation, and prioritization of technology efforts and investments in ways that drive business value. Primary decision maker on the prioritization of projects for State Retirement Programs.
- Partner with and build relationships among key stakeholders, including technology, client services, investment operations, finance, business development, legal, compliance, relationship management and marketing colleagues
- Develop presentations in support of strategic initiatives, including the creation and maintenance of an annual product roadmap for the proprietary state auto-IRA platform
- Identify, track, and monitor key performance metrics and recommend operational changes to ensure contractual execution and improve performance
- Work with Risk Management team to track internal or vendor incidents impacting business performance, and track to resolution
- Responsible for protecting, securing, and proper handling of all confidential data held by Ascensus to ensure against unauthorized access, improper transmission, and/or unapproved disclosure of information that could result in harm to Ascensus or our clients
- The I-Client philosophy and the Core Values of People Matter, Quality First and Integrity Always® should be visible in your actions on a day to day basis showing your support of our organizational culture
- Bachelor's degree; MBA or relevant advanced degree preferred
- At least 8- 10 years' experience in financial services industry with 5-8 years' experience in operations management roles working with retirement products such as individual retirement accounts (IRA's) and qualified retirement plans
- Experience managing a P&L, and developing annual budgets
- Proven leadership experience, with solid decision making skills
- Ability to excel in an entrepreneurial, start-up environment. This is a new business venture, and requires the ability to constantly re-assess situations and make fast decisions in an environment of uncertainty.
- Experience building presentations for clients and executive management
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the legislative/regulatory environment in the financial services and retirement industry
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; must be able to build and maintain strong relationships with a variety of internal and external counterparts
- Ability to negotiate and experience influencing senior stakeholders
- Ability to assimilate to new experiences, learn quickly and absorb a steep growth curve
- Must be results oriented and move fast to meet client needs
- Some travel required as business needs arise
Ascensus is a place to have a career, not just a job. As the largest US independent retirement and college savings services provider, we put our focus on people. Our culture is guided by sound principles, is committed to high standards, operates with transparency, and welcomes diversity. When you join our team, you get to go to work every day knowing that you help over 6 million Americans save for retirement and college.
Ascensus is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, citizenship, sex, marital or veteran status, disability or handicap, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Ascensus also takes affirmative action to employ, and advance in employment, qualified women, minorities, and covered veterans. Ascensus also makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state laws