The Senior Vice President of Equity and Inclusion will be an innovative, courageous leader who will work with cross functional teams to transform the YMCA of Central Ohio’s approach to inclusion, equity, diversity and anti-racism work through systems, structure and processes. The work will be rooted in empowerment, justice and the Y’s values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
The SVP of Equity and Inclusion will work with the Y’s Staff, Leadership, Executive Team, Employee Groups, Board, stakeholders and community members to develop a bold plan for leading through the lenses of equity and inclusion. This position will be expected to challenge our current systems, structures and policies to ensure we are designing systems that support true equity and inclusion. The scope of this position will lead inclusion and equity around employer-related systems, structures and people and our service delivery models and programs.
The mission of the YMCA of Central Ohio is to, “Serve the whole community through programs expressing Judeo-Christian principles that build a healthy spirit, mind and body.” The SVP of Equity and Inclusion will ensure the Y is truly serving “the whole community” in impactful, transformational ways.
- A combination of life experience, work experience and education that demonstrates the abilities to carry out the job functions and responsibilities.
- Proven champion of social responsibility, diversity, and inclusion; models cultural competence and supports diversity, effectively working with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions
- Develop self and others; demonstrate executive team leadership and management, teamwork and personal accountability, seeking and providing feedback, coaching, and resources for development
- Must have a deep understanding of institutionalized oppressive systems, especially institutionalized racism; how it/they show up in organizations and effective strategies of how to address it/them.
- Experience in organization diversity and inclusion strategy development.
- Skilled at designing and implementing effective diversity and inclusion programs.
- Skilled trainer and facilitator in diversity and inclusion related experiences including unconscious bias.
- Ability to lead and influence at all levels of the organization.
- International/Global collaboration experience helpful.
- Skills in collaboration, managing change, and building consensus.
- Must think strategically, operate tactically and impact collaboratively
- Project management experience with ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Resourceful, decisive and proactive. Leads by example in supporting change.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work well with the public and staff.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and interact with a multicultural community.
- Ability to define problems, collect data and draw valid conclusions. Ability to address employee conflict and performance counseling situations.
- Bilingual preferred.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Serve as a collaborative and innovative member of the President/CEO’s Executive team; participating in strategy development and evaluation; developing outcomes, and success metrics for the entire Association.
- Advise the Board, President/CEO, Executive Team and Leadership Teams on how to incorporate equity, diversity and inclusion lenses into all decisions, communications and policies.
- Lead and manage the Association's People and Culture team (formerly Human Resources) and the Y’s community engagement strategy to include budget, performance measures, goals and staff development.
- Work with staff teams including the Diversity and Inclusion Group, Anti-Racism Council, Employee Resource Groups and the Board Equity & Inclusion Committee to develop and implement an innovative and bold approach to being a holistically inclusive and diverse organization
- Work with the Diversity and Inclusion Group, and the Anti-Racism Council to develop a best-in-class training approach for the YMCA’s Board, Management, Staff and Volunteers that is designed to enhance cultural competencies, diversity and racial literacy.
- Works with a cross functional team to design an approach to enhancing the organization's culture and employee experience.
- Work with Association’s Leadership in integrating Inclusion and Equity goals into daily operations.
- Identify and pilot initiatives and funding sources to engage underserved populations and increase participation and membership/program results.
- Work with Branch, Site and Department leaders to help create a welcoming and engaging environment to ensure the YMCA of Central Ohio equitable serves the whole community.
- Work with the Marketing team to ensure the communications strategy is inclusive, diverse and representative.
- Collaborate and coordinate with Y-USA Diversity, Inclusion and International Groups and alignment with Y-USA strategic priorities. Ensure the integration of DIG priorities with emphasis on anti-racism work, newcomer-immigrant engagement, global education, cultural competency and humility.
- Gathers and analyzes data pertaining to DIG strategies such as member/program, associates, donor and collaboration, researches best practices and works collectively to improve all measurements and growth impact.
- Responsible for the monitoring and tracking of yearly DIG reporting to YUSA and ensuring our Association is successful in maintaining expectations
- Actively seek and participate in community events which support enhancing our DIG brand and key efforts.
- Provide research on best practices, recommend strategies and solutions in support of new programs or collaborations to increase cultural competence and humility, inclusion and global awareness across our workforce and service area
- Provide leadership and strategic direction for community outreach and engagement to ensure access and inclusion for all community members and ensure membership and staff are reflective of the diverse communities we serve.
Directly supervises the People & Culture Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the association's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, coaching and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; developing, rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.