EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) headquartered in Englewood, CO, with additional locations world-wide, is a premier global provider of satellite solutions and technology services. Together with its major subsidiaries—EchoStar Satellite Services and Hughes Network Systems— EchoStar offers employees the opportunity to explore the boundaries of what’s possible in the fields of engineering and the business functions transforming this engineering into revenue.
Senior Vice President and Corporate Controller
Geographic Location: Englewood, Colorado or Germantown, Maryland
Reporting to the COO & CFO of EchoStar, the Corporate Controller will act as a business partner to the leadership team and provide effective management of financial data in support of business strategy. The Controller will oversee and ensure the timely delivery of external and internal reporting requirements including quarterly & annual financials, debt covenant compliance and otherrequired disclosures. The Controller will achieve efficiencies within the global organization by driving consolidation of accounting functions and process improvements.
The Controller has a total team of ~50 individuals that support an enterprise of 2,000+ employees and annual sales in excess of $2B. The Controller will be a leader who works in a collaborative fashion and brings transparency to the results, processes and controls.
- Lead the Company's global adherence to generally accepted accounting principles and appropriate financialinternal controls
- Responsible for internal and external (SEC) financialreporting on a monthly/quarterly/annual basis
- Oversee company’s tax department including managing external tax advisor(s) and having overall responsibility for quarterly and annual federal and state income taxes, annual tax provisions, sales and use tax, and all tax strategy/policies for the company
- Interface with the Audit Committee, external auditors and other advisors. Anticipate key issues that may arise and any potential informational requirements. Be prepared to discuss ongoing performance, special projects, and to address any other issues/topics that may be brought up
- Effectively manage the audit process and relationships with external auditors
- Recruit, train, and develop a high performing accounting team to ensure current and future leadership of accounting function
- Coordinate with Internal Audit and foreign operations to harmonize and drive continuous improvement in worldwide accounting and internal control processes inclusive of Sarbanes Oxley and other statutory compliance programs. Ensure the development and institutionalization of strong accounting policies, procedures, controls and reporting system; communicate such standards across the organization and enforce compliance with ‘best practices’
- Overall responsibility for all accounting and tax aspects for M&A
- Support EchoStar senior management by providing sound financial and strategic advice to assist in the effective management of the business
Travel, international and/or domestic - ~35% of time
- Bachelordegree in Accounting, Masters in related field preferred
- Certified Public Accountant or equivalent required
- Minimum of 15years progressive accounting experience, including recent public company experience as Controller or Assistant Controller
- International accounting experiencepreferred.
- Experienceimplementing/maintaining accounting systems and developing reporting and
- analytics capabilities. SAPExperiencepreferred
- Excellent relationship and communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across multiple business units
Key Success Factors:
- The ideal candidate will be an accomplished financial executive with superior leadership skills, unquestionable integrity and reputation, with demonstrated success serving as a Corporate Controller at a multi-national technology and services company of comparable size and complexity;
- Global financial management experience with demonstrated controllership experiences in a highly complex and global organization. Will have led a geographically dispersed accounting function;
- Public company financial management experience. Solid knowledge of US GAAP and the ever changing regulatory environment. Candidate must have a strong experience in dealing with a variety of revenue recognition, leasing and M&A transactions;
- Leadership experience in a highly matrixed, global technology and services environment with a demonstrated track record of delivering reliable, timely and accurate consolidated financial results in such an environment;
- Superior analytical skills with demonstrated ability to analyze financial results to identify variations and trends that indicate possible exposures and the need for countermeasures as well as market trends that may present potential new business opportunities;
- Relationship development – proven ability to interact effectively with financial industry constituencies, peer executive managers and a Board of Directors and Audit Committee
EchoStar and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. U.S. Citizenship is required for certain positions. EEO is the law.