Description: The Senior Vice President, Chief Communications Officer (CCO) is the most senior communications executive for Kaiser Foundation Health Plans, Inc., and Kaiser Foundations Hospitals (KFHP/KFH) and reports directly to the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The CCO is a member of the KPHP/KFH National Executive Team (NET). They are a key advisor to the CEO, the Board of Directors and senior leadership regarding public relations, media relations, issues management, internal communications, executive communications and related issues (-Communications-). They are responsible for leading, continuously improving and aligning communications professionals and communications activities across the organization. They are also accountable for the development, maintenance, execution and coordination of the organization-s communication strategy, policies, activities and key messages that enhance KFHP/KFH performance, alignment, brand and reputation. They work collaboratively with senior leadership in all regions and functions, including close coordination with the SVP, Marketing on national and regional marketing activities. The CCO works closely with Permanente Medical Groups, organized labor and a variety of other affiliated and external organizations to optimize, coordinate and align Communications.
Principal responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide expert advice and counsel to the Chairman and CEO, and senior leadership, related to all aspects of communications.
- In collaboration with the SVP, Marketing, responsible for developing KP-s brand and reputation management strategy.
- Establish, maintain and monitor Program-wide policies, standards, practices, processes and metrics related to Communications, including key message development and management, that help to improve, guide and align communications across all parts of KP and all channels.
- Maintain a high standard of excellence for all KP communications, including: producing high-quality work products (engaging, correct, clear, simple, compliant and as consistent as possible), telling powerful stories, using technology effectively, and reaching target audiences in impactful and engaging ways that are responsive to their needs and interests.
- Lead, manage and coordinate the development, periodic revision, execution and oversight of detailed, integrated and aligned communication strategies and plans for KFHP/KFH as a whole, and for each part of the organization (regions, functions and other entities). The communication strategies and plans should be aligned with and support the mission, strategies, values, beliefs and goals of KP. The strategies and plans should support the performance and specific needs of each part of the organization (regions, functions, lines of business, etc.) while being aligned and as consistent as possible across the organization and across communication channels.
- Attract, develop, motivate and retain an outstanding, diverse high-performing workforce of KP communication professionals through effective leadership, recruitment, training, development and succession planning;
- Align job descriptions and organization of the communication functions across the Program to facilitate alignment, consistency, efficiency communication, professional development, and effectiveness to the greatest extent possible consistent with business needs and performance.
- Lead and manage an effective Program-wide issues management function that anticipates (when possible) and effectively respond to issues and events that pose a threat to the organization-s reputation and performance.
- Develop and oversee strategies and activities to achieve a high volume of valuable earned media exposure for KP, and KP leadership, on a wide range of issues, through all channels.
- Secure speaking and public engagement opportunities for KP leaders to promote KP.
- Cultivate relationships with important conferences, speaker-s bureaus and other relevant events to support KP's brand building, reputation and performance.
- Partner with the Permanente Medical Groups, KP-s Labor partners, other KP affiliates and outside organizations in a manner that facilitates alignment and coordination of communications.
- Coordinate communication strategies and activities with national and regional marketing strategies and activities to assure alignment and avoid duplication.
- Management or oversight of all national and major regional consulting, contractor and vendor relationships related to Communications.
- Collaborate with the CIO, SVP HR, SVP Marketing, EVP Health Plan Operations and others to maintain and enhance the digital, social media and other technologies and activities that support communication with: employees, physicians, consumers, members, employers, media, government and other external stakeholders.
- Establish and align the Program around a proactive narrative that both expresses the organization-s mission/values and promotes the company-s capabilities and reputation.
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience leading large, complex, nationally recognized communications organizations.
- Bachelor-s degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Business, or a related field is required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Experience and expertise in the development, implementation and ongoing leadership of a comprehensive strategy that aligns communications across a large complex organization while recognizing the requirements of various business units, stakeholders and audiences.
- Successful experience working directly with Board members and senior executives.
- Work experience within industries subject to intense regulatory and media scrutiny.
- Experience in the implementation and management of business processes and technology platforms that support effective internal and external communication.
- Expertise in the development and management of messaging platforms and the use of a wide range of communication channels, including digital and social media.
- Successful performance over a significant period in senior communications leadership roles within large, organizationally complex, multi-regional corporation(s) with multiple business units and lines of business.
- Extensive experience in all facets of communications.
- Passionate about communications, with a positive can-do attitude about maintaining a market/industry leadership position for KP.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, lead, inspire and manage high potential individuals and a large diverse team of communications professionals serving a wide range of stakeholders in a complex organization.
- Able to make strategic and succinct presentations to senior leadership.
- Extensive knowledge of the health care, health benefits and related industries. Fluency related to health, health care, health benefit and health policy issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public presentations and media relations.
- Successful experience as an organizational spokesperson in high risk, high visibility situations.
- Curiosity and a passion for learning and communicating across a broad range of business disciplines, health care and social issues.
- Skill in cultivating personal and organizational relationships with a broad cross section of media organizations.
- A strategic thinker, inspiring leader, effective manager and team player.
- Demonstrate credibility, integrity and trust.
- Experience in highly matrixed organizations is preferred.
- Some experience and knowledge of the health care and health benefits industry is desirable.
- Master-s degree in a related field is desirable.
Job Number: 634189