Are you someone who is looking to make a significant positive impact in your role as a UNIX Systems Engineer? Virtela just might have a position for you! We’re looking for a razor sharp engineer to help transform how to support enterprise networking and security. If you’re a systems infrastructure fanatic who tirelessly fine-tunes their craft and seeks to improve your ideas based on what applications and end-users really want and need – it’s time to apply!
- Help drive the innovation and evolution of Virtela systems and tools
- Work directly with our networking engineers and product team pros as well as developers who are experts in the industry
- Work on every level of the stack – frontend to backend, and everything in between
- Virtela is seeking UNIX Systems Engineers with proven automation skills to join a small, highly motivated team to perform tasks such as systems planning, configuring systems, installing software, providing guidance in technical meetings, defining standards, assisting with research and design for architectural issues, assisting/providing status updates, attending project meetings and implementation support of new applications.
This person will support all of Virtela’s Enterprise applications. Support primarily Java developers, applications integrators, DBAs, Global Operations Centers, and numerous scriptinglanguages (Bash, Perl, Ruby, Python, and Java). Automating and improving existing processes, managing infrastructure development, testing and production VM and physical server environments.
Acting as a key member (support/consult/lead) on various application’s BSS/OSS projects, while managing capacity, developing process, designing systems architecture and performing technology refreshes.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Strong customer service attitude with superior people skills, self-motivated, with a willingness to take ownership of tasks and drive them to completion. Able to lead troubleshooting, optimization, and performance tuning of applications, databases, and UNIX systems.
- Mastery of GNU/Linux (Redhat/CentOS/Fedora/Ubuntu), expertise with Logical Volume Managers, networktroubleshooting, bash, Python and/or Perl programming. Strong experience with the KVM and VMware hypervisors. Xen and HyperV experience are a plus.
- Knowledge of Internet services, systems monitoring and management, and open source tools with emphasis on SMTP, HTTP, LDAP, SQL, and DNS.
- Strong skills for automation of repeatable work, with superior puppet skills. Experience writing manifests is required. Hiera, PuppetDB, and Puppet 3 experience are a plus.
- Strong general automation skills. This includes scripting, automated monitoring, and automated VM deployments. Experience with Nagios or Zabbix monitoring software, specifically writing scripts to extend monitoring capabilities.
- Linux cluster experience, Strong CentOS and Ubuntu management skills, with strong SAN experience. iSCSI experience is a plus.
- OpenStack and CEPH distributed file system experience is a plus.
- Ability to perform 24x7x365 on-call duty with other systems team members
- Bachelor’s Degree in Math, Computer Science, or Engineering.