Designs and maintains Solaris/Linux systems. Analyzes and assess corporate requirements from both an enterprise and departmental perspective with minimum supervision. Self-starter and extremely capable of communicating effectively with co-workers at both the technical and non-technical levels. Responsible for defining, driving and ensuring delivery of security best practices across Unix/Linux infrastructure.
What you will do…
- System Performance and Security: Maintain and constantly improve server performance, reliability and security in a hybrid cloud environment, including kernel tuning, file system layout and optimization, and ongoing update of services in compliance with security policies. Participate in audits and 3rd party server scans as deemed appropriate by management. Internal and external security hardening, monitoring and alerting of all Choice Unix/Linux infrastructure.
- System Architecture: Participate in corporate projects as needed to provide server and storage specifications and to install appropriate systems. Research and architect new computing technologies and recommend applicable technologies to management as they reach maturity and applicability to the enterprise environment. Evaluates vendor products as needed and recommends purchases consistent with the organization's long and short-term objectives.
- System Monitoring and Maintenance: Daily monitoring of servers health, shell scripting to develop and/or modify scripts for automated monitoring and other system administrator tasks. Maintain server uptime consistent with corporate goals and metrics. Maintain high-end Sun servers, creating / updating domains and updating system controller. Schedule system maintenance to update firmware, apply system patches on all Unix/Linux servers. Conduct testing and analysis of all components of all enterprise Unix/Linux servers.
- Problem resolution: Anticipates issues before users are impacted - Analyze system / application problems and resolve issues promptly. Document problem resolution consistently for team knowledgebase. Confer with management on open issues, potential problems, priorities and projects that effect the timely completion of projects or effect project objectives
- System Installation: Create/maintain basic system installation documentation, update firmware, administer jumpstart server to install operating system, apply security hardening.
- Business Continuity: Develop, implement and maintain high availability and disaster recovery strategies for UNIX servers.
Skills you have…
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience.
- 5-8 years of Unix/Linux system administration experience on Solaris 8, 10, 11 with Solaris certification preferred and RedHat 5, 6, 7 with RedHat certification preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience with managing and securing Unix/Linux environments.
- Working knowledge of Veritas Volume Manager and Solaris DiskSuite disk management.
- Minimum 5 years' experience applying security best-practices in an enterprise environment.
- Experience with Veritas NetBackup software in a multi-platform installation (e.g. Solaris, Linux).
- Experience with OpenLDAP directory service.
- Hands-on knowledge of authentication services and ACLs is a must.
- Experience supporting Linux servers in an Amazon Web Services environment.
- Shell and Python scripting experience to develop and/or modify scripts for monitoring, performance analysis, kernel tuning, trends and other system administration tasks.
- Experience with SUN RAID technology and fiber-channel SAN storage.
- Ability and desire to mentor and develop junior team members.
- Ability to develop high availability and disaster recovery strategies for a Unix/Linux environment.
- Ability to perform capacity planning, and performance tuning as needed.
- Ability to develop and implement standard operating procedures and policies for a Unix/Linux environment as well as document and develop a knowledgebase for the team.
- Knowledge of security tools and protocols (e.g. SSH, SSL, TCPwrapper, nmap, COPS, Tripwire, etc.)
- Deep expertise in network services such as DNS, HTTP, FTP
- Strong expertise with MTAs (sendmail, postfix, qmail)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to uphold Choice’s Values & Performance Principles of collaboration, performance excellence, sense of urgency, openness to new ideas, inclusion & diversity, integrity, customer focus, and respect.