The Commercial Line Middle Market Team within IAT Insurance Group has an immediate need for an Underwriter with significant experience. This role will be tasked with significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangibles.
Exercises independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Will be responsible with Individual risk evaluation, selection, terms, coverage and pricing in a timely manner to produce profitable underwriting results while maintaining constant positive image in the peer marketplace. The primary responsibilities are below.
The role will work from an IAT location in Cheshire, CT or Jersey City, NJ.
- Underwrite and produce profitable business within the authority granted and consistent with company goals
- Maintain agency relationships, develop new relationship and recognize without bias any need to cease a relationship and contribute where possible to the amicable accomplishment, as necessary
- Use any outside sources, including personal experiences, personal contacts, media & internet to enhance knowledge of specific or general underwriting challenges
- Coaches and mentors junior team members. Builds and conducts training modules.
- Participates in book of business analysis and base rate decisions. Attends and participates in key industry associations. Works on significant and unique issues that impact entire book of business. Provides guidance and mentorship for project work. Lead and champion BU specific and enterprise wide project initiatives.
- Effectively express information and ideas clearly through spoken, written and electronic means
- Provide positive contribution and involvement in internal as well as external meetings and listen attentively
- Use proper channels/methods to raise issues or address conflict and/or review and recommend policy language changes
- Effectively communicate within the department and interact with internal departments
- Customer Service:
- Provide prompt & courteous responses to both internal & external customers;
- Represent company in most positive manner
- Attain & maintain respectful relationships
- Be proactive in looking for ways to make continual positive improvements
- Contract with Department of Insurance (DOI) Personnel, create or review rating materials for accuracy, reply to DOI complaints and Marketing Conduct requests
- Effectively support form review and procedures with DocuCorp maintenance and service internally
- May Conduct annual customer stewardship meetings with key accounts. Handles largest, most complex agents. Conducts annual planning meetings with assigned agents. Conducts quarterly stewardship meetings with key agents. May train others. Underwrites a large book of business. Collaborates with supervisor or others on unusual cases. Risk profile is complex. Participates on and/or leads project team in both technical and design work. Projects maybe BU specific or enterprise wide.
- Focus on Goals
- Set personal goals in alignment with department and company goal;
- Maintain work organization to achieve goals
- Address obstacles which may impede any goal
- Focus on quality as well as quality
- Use company reports/information to develop or monitor goals and any necessary adjustments
- Develop additional reports as may be necessary.
- Initiative and Problem Solving
- Anticipate & identify potential problems, gather facts and analyze causes, evaluate alternative solutions and either take action or recommend action to proper level;
- Monitor trends and identify the need for new or revised underwriting policies, procedures and practices
- Be continually cognoscente of need for innovation to accomplish goals, improve procedures and/or save costs
- Personal accountability for self –development.
- College education or equivalent experience (4 years) in the Commercial Insurance Industry
- 5+ years of underwritingexperience with an emphasis on Casualty and Property lines
- Candidates with 8+ years of experience will be considered for an Underwriting Specialist designation
- 3+ years of Excess and Surplus preferred
- Completed Course work for designations in CPCU, CIC, AU, ARM, CPIW, CWIS or ASLI is preferred
- Must have a comprehensive command of all facets of the casualty & property business lines to facilitate the profitable risk evaluation, selection, terms, coverage, pricing and production
- Must have the ability to react and respond quickly and professionally
- Must provide creative, analytical, and innovative thinking to inure to productive problem solving;
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have the ability to exercise high degree of judgment
To qualify, all applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and must not require now, or in the future, VISA sponsorship for employment purposes
Requisition ID : 1470