Build the Business.
At Argo Insurance, that is what our Underwriting team does each and every day. We partner with our Claims, Marketing and Risk Management teams and get to our know customers intimately. We build relationships not only with national brokerages and local agencies, but also directly with the Grocery stores, supermarkets, restaurants and convenience stores we aim to serve. We intently listen. And then we leverage our more than 75 years of industry risk management and premises liability claim-handling expertise to evaluate each prospective insured in order to provide a custom policy that fits their specific needs. So that when the unexpected happens, our customers know we have provided them with the coverage to get them back to business. We hire the best people, so we can deliver the best solutions.
Due to a growing book of business, we are looking for an exceptional Senior Underwriter to join our team and work from our US offices or remotely. The purpose of this role is to profitably increase premium writings in our retail book of business which consists of leading middle market retailers that generate premiums exceeding $200,000 and to use consultative selling skills to select qualified risks and offer pricing with terms and conditions that meet financial targets.
So what's it like to work on the Argo Insurance Underwriting team? Well, it's different, and different can be good. The work we offer is challenging and diversified. Hate predictability and doing the same task all the time? No worries! Here you will need to think quickly to resolve a range of problems, and projects are given during the year to always keep busy. We have a very flat organizational structure, and our entire staff regularly interacts with our senior management team, including the President of Argo Insurance. We offer a work environment that inspires innovation and is open to employee suggestions. While we work hard, a work/life balance is just as important so that our employees are fully focused while working. We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
Sound like a team you would like to join?
First you'll want to make sure you embody our core values as they are the key to our success:
- We desire to excel
- We are committed to our clients and to each other
- We have the courage to do the right thing
- We apply original thinking
Second, you'll want to make sure the challenge sounds interesting to you. In this customer facing and customer focused role you will:
- Use effective written and verbal communication skills to negotiate new business and renewal terms and conditions with agency distribution partners.
- Gather public and private data sources to better understand the operations of large and highly complex business prospects and clients.
- Utilize pricing tools designed by our actuary staff to determine appropriate premium ranges that meet our financial goals.
- Evaluate terms and conditions to ensure that proper coverage forms are placed in accordance with our underwriting guidelines.
- Ensure customer service standards are met for the processing of quote proposals, policy issuance and endorsements.
- Coordinate data entry and underwriting support functions with underwriting assistants and outsource partners.
- Schedule account performance reviews with claims and loss prevention to present to agents and policyholders.
- Develop consultative sales skills to differentiate our digital based risk management approach to sophisticated clients.
- Provide technical leadership in the department and actively seek continuous improvement including the training and development of less experienced team members.
- Understanding financial statements and protecting confidential and proprietary customer and company information.
- Keeping up to date on emerging trends in the retail grocery and restaurant industries.
- Responsible for producing new accounts from assigned group of agents/brokers or designated geographic area.
- Through a disciplined sales management approach, develop and leverage productive agency and client relationships based on a high level of visibility with agents, brokers and clients.
What will you need to be successful here?
- A minimum of seven years' underwriting experience, preferably with knowledge of property, general liability, auto and Workers' Compensation lines of business.
- A relentless desire to continually update your skill level through continuing education and self-development. A bachelor's degree from an accredited university is required. Please note four additional years of related underwriting experience beyond the minimum experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- A genuine excitement to not only meet, but exceed, our customer's expectation on each and every interaction with the customer.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU designation strongly preferred.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to travel.
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Excel, Outlook, and Word.
What will we provide to you?
- An opportunity to be your best and work with talented and inventive professionals at a Company Forbes magazine named to its list of America's 50 Most Trustworthy Financial Companies for the last two years and that A.M. Best has rated an 'A' (Excellent) for thirteen consecutive years.
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents' lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, a matching 401(k) Plan, generous PTO and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning and which, by the way, got us named in Training magazine as one of the 2017 Training Top 125 Companies!
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 150%.
- An Employee Referral program, that resulted in 30% of all new hires last year.