About the Role:
As a Solutions Manager and Senior Treaty Underwriter with deep knowledge of Casualty lines of business in the US, you will be:
- Driving the execution of US Casualty Solutions, in collaboration with the P&C Americas Head of Solutions, Reinsurance P&C Solutions Team and cross-functional origination teams.
- Responsibility for Casualty (re)insurance solution development in the US from idea generation to commercialization. Collaborating with our clients and Swiss Re colleagues, you will build client-centric solutions addressing unmet consumer needs.
- Lead the overall Casualty Solutions effort including business planning, pipeline management and projections, stakeholder communication, resource allocation for pop-up teams, evaluation of solution performance and relevancy
- Underwriting (and basic costing) US Casualty treaty reinsurance business, including making underwriting decisions within authority levels and supporting the escalation of treaties exceeding authority in accordance with internal guidelines.
Your role will also require you to:
- Act as technical advisor to other business units regarding insurance solutions across the whole value chain, with special focus on product development.
- Represent Swiss Re in the market, including liaising with clients on solutions topics, and keep tabs on market developments and primary property market opportunities
- Develop deal strategy and recommend & negotiate treaty terms and conditions.
- Perform underwriting audits and other client visits as required.
- Monitor and understand the changing Casualty market including changes in pricing, profitability and individual state laws. Work with management to make sure Swiss Re's Casualty Underwriting and Solutions strategy remains current.
- Maintain personal contacts and developing senior-level relationships with clients, including proactively initiating discussions with clients to identify their motivation, needs & priorities and develop appropriate reinsurance solutions which leverage the full range of Swiss Re capabilities
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses of existing insurance markets, solutions and competitors
- Coordinate with legal and compliance departments to ensure new solutions meet standards and regulatory requirements.
This role is open to candidates in New York city, Kansas City and Schaumburg.
About the team
The Casualty Products team is responsible for a diverse range of approximately 200 US ceding companies, including direct and broker-produced business. The team includes senior actuaries and underwriters who work with corresponding client managers and other staff including claims, risk management, reserving, contracts specialists and legal. The team is based across Armonk, NY, Schaumburg IL and Kansas City, MO and works with cross-functional teams.
- College degree or industry designations (CPCU or ACAS/ FCAS) desirable
- 5-10 years of proven experience in the insurance industry, e.g. in sales, broking, consulting/advisory or innovation/business development
- Solid understanding of the end-to-end (re)insurance value chain, including primary insurance products, underwriting, distribution and operations
- Relevant market knowledge (e.g. trends, competitors, disruptors and technological developments), ready and willing to exhibit thought leadership
- Customer focused (understand needs and act on them), strong communication and relationship skills (comfortable to engage with clients' and brokers' C-suite)
- Advanced consultancy skills (listen, ask right questions and "connect the dots"), coupled with financial acumen and relevant corporate finance knowledge
- Strong negotiation and sales skills, ability to handle conflicts, at ease with leaving the comfort zone and to navigate ambiguity
- Entrepreneurial, creative and a problem-solving approach; excited to learn and committed to sustainable performance and continuous improvement
- Excellent interpersonal and project management skills, proficient and experienced with change management
- Ability to work independently as well as to collaborate in a fast-paced, (possibly remote) team environment and to adapt to change
- Experience with facilitating brainstorming and design-thinking
- Broad network within the US Casualty (re)insurance industry is a plus
- Languages: Fluency in English