About the Role
The Senior Treaty Underwriter supports the Property Hub in producing profitable treaty business, in conjunction with the Client Markets and Solutions teams. The Senior Treaty Underwriter role brings strong leadership into the client cross-functional teams, ensuring a high quality of underwriting, steering value determination and innovative product development, and, in cooperation with the Client Markets and Solutions teams, ensures that Swiss Re's technical capabilities and value added services are leveraged sensibly.
- Drives the execution of Americas Property strategy within the various client cross-functional teams, with a focus on Programs opportunities.
- Leads and develops junior underwriters to provide high-quality underwriting services and differentiated solutions to best serve client's needs
- Represents and positions Swiss Re as a strong Property partner within the Programs segment.
- Builds and fosters a collaborative team spirit, shapes culture of consultative sales, innovative solution creation and smart business origination
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of program management, risk selection and underwriting practice (including risk management, industry assessment, client risk appetite and rating methodologies), with a focus on program opportunities.
- Utilizes expertise and mathematical knowledge in combination with underwriting judgment and tool knowledge to analyze data, do advanced risk assessments which are used to calculate the realistic expected loss
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of contract /policy wording and applies this knowledge to analyze and interpret the structure and contents of (re)insurance contracts and has ability to review and challenge contract clauses based on underwriting and market knowledge
- Understands, identifies and monitors property (re-) insurance market trends, risk landscape and regulatory developments that may affect Swiss Re's property business
- Ensures compliance with underwriting guidelines and manages the process of risk analysis, structuring and capacity deployment
- Develops new ideas and innovative products and supports product development initiatives which address client's needs
- Effectively and efficiently manages large transactions and projects to ensure the desired return and realization of defined project benefits (outputs and outcomes) within the given constraints of time, cost, scope, and quality
- Establishes strong relationships with clients and partners, and brings client focused thinking to cross-functional teams
- Provides product support and services to clients in collaboration with Client Markets and Solutions teams
- Supports the Head of Property Underwriting in performing underwriting data quality checks
- Ensures SOX compliance and contributes to the SOX process for underwriting activities
- Contributes to all relevant Desk- and Hub-level report generation and deal-specific reporting requirements
- Provides input (Loss Ratios, rate level changes, etc) to the planning process
- Provides input to Client Markets business plan
Training and Development
- Helps recruit, train, and nurture superior underwriting talent
- Continues to upgrade his/her underwriting and sales skills
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college.
- Minimum 7+ years of insurance/reinsurance experience with a focus on program management and technical underwriting.
- Primary Insurance experience preferred
- Strong corporate finance knowledge and financial acumen
- Ability to identify and accommodate different points of view, form networks of positive business relationships and ensure consensus-building
- Proven ability to make decisions utilizing sound judgment
- Analytical thinker with strong problem recognition and solving skills
- Profound consultative sales skills
- Has a passion to perform by stepping up and taking personal responsibility and inspiring others through enthusiasm and commitment
- Strong results orientation
- Proven strong presentation skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel