Job Function: Will function as a Senior or Lead Transmission Engineer on assigned projects of varying complexity. Position will be responsible for new lines, relocations, upgrades and fiber optic attachment.
Job duties: Lead the design of various transmission line projects. Activities shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- Preliminary design and budgetary estimate for projects ranging from 115kV to 500kV to include planning and design for new lines, relocations, upgrades and fiber optic attachment.
- Develop material lists in Excel spreadsheets
- Develop structure framing structure details, to include specifying all parts, hardware, insulators and grounding details for different pole materials, such as steel, round wood or laminated wood.
- Be familiar with environmental and licensing processes and how to coordinate issues in the transmission line design process.
- Site new transmission line and be able to coordinate and asses the impacts of real estate, licensing and environmental constraints on the overall engineering process.
- Develop project schedule that incorporates all facets of design, client reviews, licensing and all other activities for successful project completion
- Develop plan & profile drawings under your direction.
- Develop a complete design package that incorporates all necessary details for construction, such as work lists, construction staking table, stringing sag charts, etc.
- Develop material and construction specifications
- Engineering calculations to assure safety and performance of equipment and systems.
- Coordinating equipment delivery and design engineering to meet construction schedules.
- Assist in checking completed job for adequacy of design and documentation.
- Monitor the construction of transmission line project to ensure compliance with plans and specifications. Activities may include, but not be limited to, the following:
a) Act as Resident Engineer on projects of any magnitude.
b) Safety and Security -- Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
c) Interpret complex plans and specifications and apply available information to ensure that all project design requirements are satisfied.
d) Maintain familiarity with appropriate engineering and construction codes and ensure compliance with all codes.
e) Assist in preparation and/or monitoring of complex construction schedules to ensure timely completion of the work.
f) Assist in on-site design or investigation work to ensure adequacy of contractor's methods.
- Bachelor's Degree, Civil/Structural Engineering, or related
- 7+ years experience within transmission line design engineering
- P.E. preferred
- Proficiency with Power Line and Structure modeling for computer aided and design development. PLS-CADD and associated modules (POLE, TOWER), Excel, MFAD or Lpile, NESC.
- Knowledge in ACI, ASCE Pole manual, AISC Steel manual preferred, but not required
- Familiarity with industry codes standards and practices for electric utility practice.
- Interpersonal and communication skills. Demonstrated initiative and ability to lead. Attention to detail.