VHB's growing Metro DC operation is looking for a Senior Traffic Engineer to join our Transportation team. This opportunity is for either our Tysons, VA or Washington, DC office location.
VHB's passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- Apply deep understanding of traffic signal operations, design, and systems
- Manage traffic engineering projects and contracts
- Complete traffic safety and operational improvement studies for localized intersections and corridors
- Provide analyses of traffic safety issues and crash reduction measures
- Support policy and design guidance documents for traffic, technology, and control devices
- Address community traffic engineering issues
- Manage projects involving simulation and signal optimization plans to maximize transportation system throughput (using SYNCHRO, CORSIM, VISSIM or related software)
- Complete interchange justification, functional design, and access management reports
- Manage and guide conceptual, preliminary, and/or final design for roadway, intersection, traffic control, and/or pedestrian/bicycle facilities
- Develop mobility solutions which consider all users, including motorists, bicyclists, public transit users and pedestrians of all ages and abilities.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong familiarity and application of traffic engineering guidance and standards, including MUTCD, AASHTO, ITE, FHWA, and NACTO resources
- Familiarity with local engineering standards and regulations in DC metro area jurisdictions
- The ability to manage multiple projects and work independently
- An understanding of effectively overseeing multi-disciplinary projects and teams
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Team oriented with strong capability to work independently
- Motivated to lead and mentor others
- Background in traffic engineering and project management
- 15-30+ years of experience with professional traffic engineering
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field; Master's Degree preferred
- PE Licensure in VA or DC preferred
- Certification as a PTOE desirable
At VHB, we're invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We're proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 38 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.