Description This position plays a key role in developing, implementing, and maintaining plastic commodity strategies for Hill-Rom. This position provides plastics tooling and process expertise to new product development and production support across the company’s business units and external supply base.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: – Other duties may be assigned:
- Provide subject matter expertise in material properties, molding process development, and plastic part DFM (design for manufacture) principles to ensure moldability and cost-effective manufacture.
- Partner with product development and sustaining engineering teams to bring plastic part designs from concept to production.
- Partner with sourcing and quality assurance teams during plastic part supplier audit and supplier selection.
- Work with suppliers to manage the design, build and validation of plastic part tooling (injection, blow, thermoform, RIM).
- Develop tooling cost estimates and tooling development schedules.
- Develop leading edge technology for use in new tooling designs.
- Develop tooling standards and deploy them across all business units.
- Develop and deploy tooling management system.
- Perform mold flow analysis.
- Perform make vs. buy analysis for plastic components including estimation of direct and indirect variable costs, fixed costs, transportation costs, etc.
- Develop process validation guidelines (IQ, OQ, SV, PQ) and oversee their execution within Hill-Rom’s supply base.
- BS Degree in Plastics, Mechanical, or Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent job experience.
- 5-10+ years’ related experience in tooling and process development functions for the plastics industry.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a regulated manufacturing industry. Medical device manufacturing experiencepreferred.
- Extensive experience with injection molding tooling and processing using scientific molding principles with commodity and engineering grade resins.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills with a positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- Excellent computer skills including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office and CAD systems.
- Knowledge of FDA quality systems including ISO13485, 21CFR Part820, ISO9001 and other quality systems that may be within Hill-Rom’s supply base is a plus.
- Must be able/willing to travel up to 50% domestically and internationally.