South Boston, VA
Industry: Manufacturing & Automotive•
5 - 7 years
Posted 62 days ago
ABB is a leader in power and automation technologies that enable utility and industry customers to improve performance while lowering environmental impact. This position will be in support of the Power Grids division, which is a global leader in pioneering technologies that help balance the growing need for electricity while reducing environmental impact as a partner of choice for enabling a stronger, smarter and greener grid. The Power Grids division serves utility, industry, transportation and infrastructure customers and is focused on addressing key areas such as the integration of renewable energies, growing network complexity, grid automation and microgrids.
ABB is seeking a Senior Test Engineer, encompasses the implementation of various test methods and standards to ensure performance and quality. Act with safety, efficiency, quality and productivity to assure that products and systems meet stated requirements.
Under limited direction, perform a variety of complex engineering assignments requiring in-depth knowledge of liquid filled transformer testing plus an understanding of related disciplines to cost effectively achieve objectives. Assignments typically require the use of advanced and innovative techniques. Proactively seek and implement initiatives to improve operations and increase customer satisfaction.
Typical duties/responsibilities for engineering may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Product Assurance: Conducts test protocols as assigned to ensure the products and systems that are created by the local organization meet specifications.
• Safety: Utilizes safety systems to perform work, resulting in an accident- free workplace. Notifies others when unsafe situations are observed and work with local safety teams to improve the safety systems.
• Improvement: Works with department staff to improve existing test protocols and capability, resulting in greater efficiency, accuracy, and/or reliability of test outcomes.
• Utilize data: Collects, records, and evaluates quantitative metrics that provide descriptive data for the determination of compliance to requirements.
• Support quality: Trains Machine Operators In basic quality test routines to support quality· at-source processes, and verifies quality assurance testing performed as a part of the value creation process.
• Design, analyze, and evaluate systems, products or components, requiring a high degree of technical expertise. Design and develop complex models or simulations and apply advanced computer programs, analytical techniques or control strategies to effectively meet requirements and resolve problems.
• Act as principal investigator or lead a group of engineers investigating test issues and test failures, developing solutions for resolving recurring test issues or failures, and preparing related recommendations and reports, including certified test reports and Test metrics. Perform knowledge transfer and training of test technicians and other test engineers.
• Conduct test equipment viability and cost analysis and studies to prepare or lead the preparation of specifications, proposals, safety documents, and assist with obtaining required approvals.
• Represent the group in meetings and conferences; interact with customers to resolve significant technical questions and issues and develop related action plans.
• Bachelor's Degree and 5+ years of experience in liquid filled power transformer testing.
• Bachelor's Degree in Electrical engineering and 8 years experience in liquid filled power transformer testing.
• Intensive knowledge of ANSI, IEEE, IEC standards and other relevant standards for distribution, traction, power, and regulating transformers.
• Clear internal and external customer communication skills.
• Expertise in troubleshooting test issues and failures and communicating findings.
• Be able to use root cause analysis tools to identify and resolve issues.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB