About This Role
SoFi is looking for a senior technical writer to lead up our documentation efforts and lead a team of technical writers. This position will work with business experts and engineers and will provide the direction needed in our documentation. The successful applicant will be responsible for creating technical documents and explain complex information in a clear and concise manner and working with engineering staff to ensure accuracy of product descriptions. We are looking for a candidate with a technical background with strong financial or mathematics skills. If you have previous experience as a Technical Writer in software development, we encourage you to submit an application.
By joining SoFi, you’ll become part of a forward-thinking company that is transforming financial services. Ranked as one of the fastest growing fintech companies, we look forward to having strong talents joining our team. We offer the excitement of a rapidly growing startup with a strong leadership team.
- Lead a team of technical writers that are responsible for producing written and visual materials
- Standardize content across platforms and media
- Establish and foster working relationships with various stakeholders and teams
- Work with internal teams to obtain documentation requirements
- Evaluate existing business processes and translate into accurate, consistent, and concise documentation that follows a logical flow
- Work with Line of Business Leaders and Subject Matter Experts to develop new procedures and maintain existing documentation for individual business units
- Interview Subject Matter Experts and perform research for policy, procedure or documentation development
- Manage, organize and maintain electronic documentation project
- Create and maintain short-term and long-term roadmap for the technical writing domain
- Align writing projects to large strategic objectives and ensure they understand the big picture and goals
- Connect with the various engineering teams to understand key projects and the required documentation deliverables to ensure we are providing the documentation support they need to meet project schedules and expectations
- Manage expectations of all interested parties: defined clear schedules with key deliverables and milestone dates, identify and communicate risks and adjustments to the overall documentation deliverables
- 5+ years of experience as a technical writer in software development
- 3-5+ years managing a team of employees
- Strong math or financial background
- Knowledge of software engineering documentation standards
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional thoroughness, attention to detail, and systematic writing process
- Skilled at prioritization and multitasking
- Ability to collaborate and influence with cross functional teams, within other geographies, and be willing to “roll-up the sleeves” in order to accomplish all necessary tasks
- Analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills with focus under pressure
- Proactive with proven ability to execute on multiple tasks concurrently
- Independent in examination and analysis
- Resourceful, action-oriented with the ability to get things done and overcome obstacles
- B.S. or B.A. degree (Journalism, Business Communications, English, Technical Writing or equivalent)
- Knowledge of Atlassian Confluence
- Experience working directly with engineer teams
- A thorough understanding of the software development (SDLC)
- Previous experience in technical documentation such as creating and maintaining ERD’s, process flows, application programming interfaces (APIs) and data dictionaries.
- Ability to be responsible for regular and ongoing communications
- Proven, self-motivated ability to bring work items to closure, following up and escalating to do so, as necessary
- Willingness and ability to work on both individual and team projects.
- Passion to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Willingness and flexibility to adapt to changes in project assignments and/or work environment.
- Ability to take initiative, maintain a positive attitude, be self-motivated, and to work effectively on projects with minimal direct supervision.