We’re Progress – we offer the best platform for building and deploying tomorrow’s applications quickly and easily. We are bold, forward-thinking innovators who build things that work and care about our customers. We invent and reinvent every day, work together as one, value and respect each other and cheer our wins. Join us as a Sr. Technical Support Engineer on the DataDirect team. This will be a remote role, with ideal candidate being along the East Coast or Central US area, due to team/customers locations.
The DataDirect team is responsible for building the best connectors on the market to connect all types of applications to data stored in relational, Big Data, and NoSQL databases as well as cloud services.
WHAT YOU WILL DO IN THIS ROLE:
- Provides technical assistance to evaluators, customers, resellers and Progress employees via telephone, customer portal tickets, Screen sharing tools, or any other available communication option.
- Assists with the configuration, use, and maintenance of our software products
- Follows the processes and procedures for technical support workflow
- Diagnoses and explains external hardware and software issues that affect the use and/or configuration of our software (e.g., environmental or network)
- Provides customers with information about Progress products and resources
- Interacts professionally and courteously with all customers and peers. Easily approachable, reacts calmly under stressful situations; receive constructive criticism well. Maintains confidentiality.
- Communicates clearly and precisely with customers regarding expectations for callbacks, follow-ups regarding their issues, interactions with Development, and other open issues. Sets appropriate expectations for resolutions and workarounds for product defect
- Escalates product issues to management or other team members
- Logs product defects and feature requests clearly in the corresponding systems
- Provides Development with clear and complete information, when Development assistance is required, carrying out recommended diagnostic steps and gathering information as necessary
- Demonstrates and applies good understanding of knowledge capturing principles (e.g. create new knowledge resources and/or update the existing content - product demos, KB and technical articles/documentation, etc.)
- Reviews product documentation, identifies topics needing improvement and is able to contribute
- Participates in forums, responds to technical questions, sharing product knowledge with colleagues
- Provides assistance to peers working in the same specialty area as well as handling issues outside of the area of specialty
- Be part of an emergency-only after-hours call rotation (one weekend a month and paid additional money to do it)
TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE, WE NEED SOME WHO HAS:
- Bachelor's Degree in an IT-related field or equivalent experience
- Experience with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems and networking concepts
- Experience in a software technical support, customer-facing role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including effective listening skill
- Solid analytical and troubleshooting skills specific to software related issues
- Demonstrated ability to handle large number of cases efficiently and effectively.
- Considerable knowledge of internet protocols (DNS, FTP, HTTP, LDAP, SMTP, SNMP, SSH, TCP, IPv4, IPv6 and IPSec)
- Experience with packet capture analysis (Wireshark, tcpdump)
- Experience with VMWare and/or other Virtualization products
- Database experience – Microsoft SQL Server, database management tools, ability to write SQL statements; ability to read a schema a plus
- Cloud Services
- Web API (RESTful, SOAP-based)
- Application Servers
NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience with (BRMS) Business Rules Management Engines
- Experience with C, C++ and Java
- Experience with ADO.Net a plus
- Experience with cloud databases a plus
- Bi-lingual a plus but not required