This position is an individual contributor in the Product Management team at NWEA and reports to Director/Manager of Product Management. Technical Product Managers work across the organization to collaboratively develop and manage product planning and execution throughout the product lifecycle, including converting product vision and market strategy into market requirements, product roadmap and release plans, product feature design, product development priorities, release readiness and product maintenance. Technical Product Managers work with colleagues in their product/service line to provide a cohesive offering that contributes to the comprehensive portfolio solution. They work closely with the Product Engineering and Product Management teams on go-to-market strategy and execution for their platform solutions. Technical Product Managers are responsible for ensuring that their product/platform solutions support the organization’s overall strategy and mission and profitability and partner satisfaction goals are met.
Area of emphasis
This position will be responsible for driving product initiatives in the MAP Reading Fluency space through productization, development and launch. This position will work closely with Product Management, Product Engineering, Partner Accounts and other stakeholder teams to craft the product capabilities to meet the business and end user requirements. This position will partner with a business unit product manager in the design, development, operations, support and implementation of product solutions.
- Evangelize and champion assigned products, with a focus on maintaining a drive through the development process and successfully release to the market.
- Responsible for all aspects of the technical product management for assigned product(s) and service(s), including planning and execution, including but not limited to, market and product/service opportunities, business and financial analysis, roadmap and release, market requirements, functional requirements validation, solution definition, go-to-market information and artifacts, and sales support.
- Coordinates planning with other product managers and stakeholders to ensure comprehensive market readiness from a business unit perspective given market trending, compliance concerns and political drivers.
- Partner with the business product manager(s) to develop a vision, strategy, roadmap and epic backlog for NWEA’s MAP Reading Fluency product.
- Lead and facilitate the work of development team from Idea to Launch by working with stakeholders to define features, lead design feature solutions, build and release features that bring business value.
- Work closely with offshore/onshore development team to prioritize work, manage the backlog, and participate in relevant team activities.
- Manage products and services throughout the product life-cycle from solution innovation, definition, release and end-of-life planning.
- Assess technology trends, and current and emerging competitors in order to inform product platform direction; utilize and gather market and industry research and analysis to inform a long-range platform roadmap.
- Completes additional projects and responsibilities, as appropriate.
- TRAVEL AS REQUIRED, UP TO 25%
Skills and Abilities
- Provide product leadership and demonstrates a sustained ability to manage products and find a path to success in a complex fast changing environment is essential.
- Demonstrated ability of managing broad scope, complex tasks to completion.
- Demonstrated ability to drive results, make timely decisions and work effectively across multiple groups. Encompassed in competency Drives Results.
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority.
- Exceptional skills in partnering with clients and staff and in developing and maintaining long term supportive relationships. Encompassed in competency Collaborates.
- Capable of establishing a business case to support platform strategy and direction.
- Demonstrated ability to operate and contribute at both a tactical and strategic level. Encompassed in competency Strategic Mindset.
- Consistent, proactive and healthy cross-functional communication skills that motivates cross-functional teams and all business relationships. Encompassed in competency Communicate Effectively.
- Communicate Effectively: Develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet objectives.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Customer Focus: Build strong customer relationships and deliver customer-centric solutions.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in education, technical or business discipline or equivalent experience; advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum three years’ experience in product management, product development, business analysis or related discipline, with at least one year in product management related to the area of emphasis.
- Domain knowledge and demonstrated understanding of the area of emphasis and the educational marketplace.
- Experience working with Agile Development process and Human Centered Design practices.
- Experience with all aspects of go-to-market planning and launch.
- Solid knowledge of/experience with the Product Lifecycle Management processes such as requirements definition, business plan development, new product introduction, etc.
- Knowledge of accessibility and accommodation requirements related to User Interface development preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with educational assessment.
- Experience with large scale testing/assessment solutions a plus