Job OverviewThe Hardware-Firmware Development Senior Manager will lead a team of hardware and firmware engineers to develop new broadband wireless channel emulation and test solutions, and support software updates and new feature releases on in-production products. This senior manager will also have architectural responsibilities for the product platform and evolution of the platform to meet future market needs. Reporting to the Sr. Director of the product line, the successful candidate will have both a technical and administrative leadership role in all aspects of managing a product development group. Responsibilities include directing and tracking product development projects, owning decisions regarding program direction and needs, managing personnel-related activities, providing technical guidance to the team, and assuring compliance to internal specifications, customer specifications and industry standards. Product areas include systems and system components used for testing wireless devices (LTE, UMTS, CDMA and WiFi), and emulating the RF propagation characteristics of the wireless channel.Responsibilities
- Coordinate all activities necessary to complete multiple engineering projects.
- Provide architectural leadership for product platform and evolution of platform.
- Provide technical leadership to team members.
- Coordinating (coaching) the development team.
- Oversee design work & design methodology for development projects.
- Create the High Level Design Specification and the Detail Design Specification with input from both the Director and the Product Manager.
- Create product definition or provide technical input concerning the product definition.
- Oversee design verification test methodologies and product testing phases prior to commercial release.
- Ensure that customer issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Conduct product development meetings.
- Interface with customers on key technical issues. (May visit customers when there are significant technical issues or to get feedback on product lines.)
- Serve as "point person" for Product Development organization regarding current engineering issues on product plus determine magnitude of issue and delegating the work as necessary. This may include bugs, obsolete parts, test issues etc.
- Establish and maintain the detailed product development schedule.
- Review and approval of personnel related issues for direct reports such as paid time off, etc.
- Define quarterly objectives with team members.
- Conduct performance/salary reviews for direct reports.
- Direct technical and career growth of project team members.
- Ensure compliance of company policies, procedures and methodologies.
- Forecast operating costs of development group for budget preparation.
- Secure the proper resources for the Engineering team to execute on the feature roadmap including capital expenditures and contractor personnel.
- BSEE/BSCE; MSEE/MSCE preferred.
- 7-10 years of experience, including 4+ years development team management experience.
- In-depth understanding of electronic Test and Measurement equipment architectures.
- Fundamental understanding of RF and digitalcircuit design principles.
- Project management knowledge and experience.
- Knowledge of both physical layer and protocol layer details related to RF communication networks
- Familiarity with 3GPP, LTE/UMTS/CDMA/WiFi wireless communication standards and technologies.
- Familiarity with mobile device testing and RF propagation effects in the wireless channel.
- Proficient in design of hardware systems comprised of digital signal processors, master control units, FPGAs, data interface buses, and digital signaling and control mechanisms.
- Ability to make technical design trade-off decisions, based on business objectives.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including mandatory written and spoken English fluency.
- Demonstrated team leadership: proven record of managing an experienced and diverse design team, including external contractor resources.
- Willingness and ability to travel (both domestic and international) on occasion - up to 10%.
- Experience in Embedded firmware, FPGA and MCU design preferred.
- Knowledge of Hardware and software design verification testing preferred.
- User experience with RF test equipment (Spectrum and Network Analyzers, etc.) and experience with Project Scheduling tools (Microsoft Project, Sciforma, etc.).
- Ability to effectively engage stakeholders cross-functionally across departments and organization levels.