The Technical Designer-Tailored Clothing oversees all aspects of technical design in a range of assigned apparel divisions within The Tailored Brands product lines.
A) Managing the day-to-day duties of a technical designer including communicating with overseas vendors, analyzing samples for fit and construction, conducting fittings, furthering Design’s vision for each individual product.
B) Partnering with PD, Design, Production, Sourcing, Merchants, Regional Agents, QC, and Factories are necessary in order to ensure the technical development of Patterns, Blocks, RFD Samples and the application of all quality standards relating to fit, construction, product performance, and comfort.
C) Maintaining garment consistency across all regional locations, factories, and vendors by analyzing and communicating risk and/or opportunities is a vital part of this position.
1. Create, manage, and maintain Product Specifications:
a. Define base size product specifications with all relevant product POMs and measurements
b. Manage and maintain established standard library, “How to Measure”
c. Update base size product specifications and POMs based on design revisions/sample/fit iterations/vendor collaboration
d. Approve graded measurement specs
e. Conduct competitor’s analysis seasonally to compare current fit against market.
2. Create, manage, and maintain Block Pattern library for each category
a. Draft new block patterns as needed
b. Update existing pattern, including corresponding internal and external details, as lining and interlining
c. Manage and maintain electronic files pattern library
d. Create projection markers to establish average consumption of fabrics or trims if needed
e. Manage and maintain approved actual fit/block sample library
3. Utilize PLM system daily:
a. Develop and maintain on-line PLM templates, block specs, and sample management
b. Create and manage technical description of each construction/sewing detail
c. Create and manage supportive technical sketches/diagrams to compliment sewing details
4. Evaluate Fit and Pre-Production samples for measurements, fit, construction, and overall quality
a. Ensure product quality and fit consistency by overseeing technical design activities
b. Provide written reports and feedback to Agent/Factory and assessments of each Pre Production sample with approval status according to designated TAC deadline.
c. Maintain manual tracking list of samples.
5. Drive calendar adherences
a. Complete sample evaluations within given time frames
b. Escalate exceptions or issues to the development calendar
c. Work closely to support Director, ensuring any business critical/hot topics are raised in a timely manner
d. Participate in problem-solving with PD, Design, Merchant, and Regional Agent to ensure deadlines and standards are met
6. Recommend new internal trim suppliers
a. Identify internal/technical trim needs
b. Support exploring garment component costing issues and offer technical recommendations
c. Request, track, and provide feedback on internal/technical trim submits
d. Manage and maintain internal trim library
e. Support Sourcing/Production and PD team to establish BOM template library
7. Execute technical design expertise to support the Design and Global Sourcing objectives
a. Travel (domestic and international manufacturing) 15-20% of the time to support sourcing, development, fit and quality standards
b. Perform in-line inspections and final audits at factories (together with Agent QC) and report to Production and Sourcing Team
c. Provide factory capability assessments of potential new factories as well as applying technical experience in vendor assessment and vendor matrix recommendations, from machinery and workmanship standpoints.
d. Support domestic and international manufacturing to organize and improve processes to achieve better fabric and trims efficiency and improve quality.
Align the objectives of your team with the Company Core Values:
a. Lead with the Customer – We start every conversation by asking “What does the customer want?”
b. Inspire the Change – We play to win, compelled by curiosity, innovation and smart risk taking that fuels breakthrough growth.
c. Own it Together – We believe how we work together matters and that respect, trust and inclusion are performance multipliers.
d. Nurture the Community – We understand we have a corporate responsibility and that we do well by doing good.
Skills, Abilities, Experience & Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work professional experience
• Extensive experience in menswear technical design management and tailored manufacturing minimum 15 years
• Knowledge of electronic pattern software is essential, Gerber Accumark 8.5 or above, pattern grading experience a plus
• Technical knowledge of AI drawings flat sketches
• Technical knowledge of fabrics, internal trims, and industrial clothing manufacturing techniques
• Extensive tailoring experience and industrial garment manufacturing experience equipment and process for tailored garments
• Understanding of Time and Action Calendars specific to products being developed
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented, and collaborative environment.
• Able to adjust priorities to meet team deadlines
• Experience in working in a PLM system / willing to learn new software products
• Organizational skills necessary to handle multiple tasks and complete them within deadlines
• Detail oriented with attention to accuracy
• Ability to see and distinguish color, tone, texture, and print and use fine motor skills to execute technical design elements
• Ability to operate computer and telephone equipment for prolonged periods of time
• Ability to work at least 40 hours per week from the New York office - occasional travel possible
Work Environment, Physical & Mental Demands
• Ability to sit and work at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time
• Ability to stoop, kneel, bend at the waist, and reach on a daily basis
• Able to lift and move up to 25 pounds occasionally
• Must utilize visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment
• Ability to work at least 40+ hours per week from the Company’s New York City office with flexibility based on business needs
Note: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job
Travel Required Less Than 25%