Heritage and Scope
We understand networks and our customers can draw on more than 30 years of experienceworking with them. We have a unique breadth of scope, reach and capability. Our network reaches all corners of the world, underpinning global business by delivering networked IT services securely and efficiently wherever it operates. We’re part of BT Group, which, with annual revenues of more than $30 billion, is one of the 200 largest companies in the world. BT is a direct descendent of the world’s first commercial telecommunications undertaking. Founded in 1846, it was the forerunner of today’s $3.2 trillion IT industry. With privatization in 1984, BT heralded today’s vibrant and competitive telecommunications industry.
Purpose of Role:
We are looking for a technical design architect to support the engineering, design, development & testing of core unified communications (UC) platform & services such as Skype for business or Lync for our large multinational customers. This individual will provide expert guidance into the monitoring, capacity planning and management of existing or deliverable services.
A successful candidate will demonstrate expertise in design, implementation and support of Unified Communications technology, excellent data and voice networking knowledge and exhibit strong project management and communication skills. Additionally, they will demonstrate a profound understanding of infrastructure and cloud networking.
- This role is customer-focused and will need to demonstrate a profound understanding of the complete picture of the current UC solution architecture offerings
- Must identify opportunities for improvement and development of this architecture and service
- Acts as technical lead and key escalation point for program leads and the customer for all technical issues relating to the UC contract delivery.
- Ensures technical change within the contract is assessed and follows appropriate Technical governance and Architectural conformance before detailed design and implementation.
- Owns the technical solution for the customer throughout the contract lifecycle, providing technical assurance and change control sign-off to any change to technical specification or scope i.e. integration of detailed design elements into an effective overall technical solution.
- Provides technical input to the delivery schedule, working with the planning team.
- Accountable for the technical design element of contract delivery budget, validating the costs for design work and feeding into the overall budget controlled by the account team as well as providing forward forecast of resource requirements.
- Accountable for engagement of the Contract Design hubs which includes decomposing the solution architecture into work packages, engaging the Contract Design Hubs for required design activity and providing initial baseline of project timescales.
- Identifies and resolves integration issues with the technical solution.
- Working in partnership with the Solution Architect for Winning New Business opportunities, owning the overall Technical Design and liaising with the Solution Architect and other Technical specialists to ensure the overall technical Design integrates with the existing contract designs and services
- To provide proactive and reactive technical support, ensuring components are stable and performing to agreed expectations
- To work with other members of the team to troubleshoot and resolve any issues that may arise, working with vendors where necessary
- To contribute to the assessment, design, configuration, integration and deployment of all Core UC applications and systems and work closely with the senior Solution Architects, engineers and Product Managers.
- To assess and recommend emerging technologies and capabilities that will contribute towards relevant product roadmap.
- The role holder is responsible for providing effective support of projects / operational support tasks, dealing with all relevant issues under the guidance of the manager.
- He/she provides support in the formulation of network, technology, systems and information strategy and evolution plans, and operational support policies and procedures.
- The role holder provides assistance in meeting business objectives, solving business problems and furthering business success by applying industry, applications and technical knowledge through the definition of high level solutions on projects or the development of operational processes and procedures.
- Provide governance in design reviews with responsibility for technical/service authorisations.
- Identification, ownership and management of risk.
Skills / Experience:
- 5+ years’ experience & expertise in deployment of Skype for Business or Lync technology
- Experience in the transformation of Multinational customers to Skype for Business technology
- Experience in understanding a customer requirements and developing technology roadmap
- Experience in working direct with senior interfaces within the customers technical team and being their technical lead into the solution
- Experience with other UC and networking technologies is a bonus Proven experience in senior executive-level business development projects and relationship-based sales engagements, including, for example, planning and facilitating structured discovery and design workshops, technology and solution roadmaps and implementation plans
- Strong solution presentation skills
- Technical skills in Cisco or Microsoft UC solutions
- Strong knowledge in voice and/or video systems and infrastructure
- Familiar with solution design and pricing including leading customer workshops to define solution requirements, strategies, vendor preference, deployment planning, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Engineering/science degree or related study preferred
- Qualified to be and possible chartered engineer and fellow of a professional engineering/science institution
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM) charter is a plus
- Relevant professional experience
- Will have obtained recognized industrial accreditation, where they exist, at typically professional/expert level in appropriate topics