SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe extraordinary environments are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world. According to the 2017 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 7th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
The San Francisco office is looking for a Senior Technical Architect to join our team. Our practices include Healthcare, Higher Education, Science + Technology and Workplace. We offer local, national and international projects of all sizes including opportunities to work with our other offices. We are seeking a talented individual who is committed to design excellence, who thrives in an environment of collaboration and who demonstrates a high degree of creativity and entrepreneurial spirit.
Working with us, you will:
- Supervise preparation of architectural drawings for all project phases, including proposal presentations, concepts, schematics, design development and construction documents.
- Be a studio or office-wide resource providing guidance on unusual or complex issues.
- Provide technical leadership on office’s largest design commissions, while concurrently overseeing and providing guidance on multiple medium to small-scale projects.
- Conduct quality control review of your own as well as other’s projects.
- Direct team members and others in the application of architectural standards and guidelines.
- Enforce guidelines, quality control, standards and details.
- Anticipate and plan ahead for potential roadblocks for overall project success and agency approvals specifically.
- Manage contractor and client relationships during construction for larger and more complex projects.
- Perform work requiring independent judgment in evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation/modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Write and review reports and master plans.
- Supervising the preparation of architectural drawings.
- Consult with manufacturers, evaluate and select materials.
- Provide Construction Administration leadership on the office’s largest commissions.
- Lead, mentor and train others in your area of expertise.
- Contribute to establishing and advancing best practices for technical documentation for the studio, office and firm on a national level.
An ideal candidate has:
- A Bachelor’s degree in architecture.
- A minimum of 20 years’ experience in the profession, 10 or more as a technical architect.
- A license to practice architecture.
- LEED accreditation (preferred).
Familiarization with and experience using current design software (Revit, Sketch Up).
Proficiency with Microsoft Suite, including Word, Excel and Project (preferred).
- Experience working with various construction types.
- Responsible for assisting the teams in developing and documenting a shared vision and work plan for each project.
- Experience in leading other architects and project groups.
- Excellent communication skills, a team player attitude, and the ability to think intuitively.
- An articulate presenter.
- Demonstrated understanding of code implementation and jurisdiction review.
- Demonstrated understanding of construction practices and methodologies.
In addition, this specific position, requires:
- Experience with design and documentation of office buildings, retail and multi-family housing projects.
- Experience in Type V construction techniques.
- Familiarization with local bay area clients.
SmithGroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer three weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for seven or eight federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
SmithGroupJJR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.