The Global Financial & Accounting Services (GFAS) division is a growing team with an increasing breadth of responsibility. The foundation continues to grow in its global footprint and in the complexity of its work. The GFAS team is scaling up to support this important work. The team’s vision is to provide innovative and scalable global business solutions in accounting, tax, payroll, financial reporting and financial operations while safeguarding the reputation of the foundation and our related entities, with the highest standards of integrity and operational excellence.
GFAS is a division within the Finance organization at the foundation and an important part of the operations function. Operations supports and enables the five program teams to make investments and to run effectively and efficiently. As a function, Finance employs approximately 100 employees’s. The GFAS division is significant (30+ employees’s), and responsible for financial reporting processes, technical and advisory services, internal controls, and the accounting functions at the foundation.
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
The Senior Technical Advisor is a leader, problem solver, trusted business partner, mentor and subject matter expert in technical accounting and financial reporting. Manages and coordinates complex GFAS work activities that are highly visible internally and externally. The Senior Technical Advisor is responsible for the following:
- Financial Statements (~50% of the role)
- Managing the preparation and review of financial statements.
- Leading various financial statement audits including interaction with external auditors, tax firms, and foundation and related entity leadership.
- Research & Analysis (~35% of the role)
- Researching and analyzing complex, often first in-kind transactions for accounting and financial reporting implications, including how information needs to be captured in financial and grant making systems to ensure tax and audit reports are accurate and complete.
- Acting as subject matter expert on cross foundation initiatives. Providing technical accounting and financial reporting expertise and advice on complex investments/transactions. Act as consultant to the Regional offices on accounting and internal controls policies and procedures. Act as an accounting resource for the program related investments team.
- Researching new accounting/finance issues as they arise and working to find solutions.
- Development & Training (~15% of the role)
- Developing and maintaining enterprise wide accounting policies and appropriate internal control environment and practices.
- Reviewing work of other GFAS staff to ensure all accounting implications have been considered.
- Mentoring GFAS staff to develop technical skills on the team.
While this position has no direct reports, this position works in a highly matrixed environment and works closely with the following internal and external stakeholders:
- Internally: Work closely with GFAS staff and peers in other divisions to understand the technical accounting or tax implications of a transaction/investment. Present findings to leadership.
- Externally: Ability to network and share best practices with other peer organizations. Work closely with external accounting and tax firms to research complex transactions and issues.
Core Knowledge and Skills
The ideal candidate has a blend of the following skills and experiences:
- Strong financial and analytical background with focus on skills that facilitate decision making. Technical accounting and financial reporting background and experience in publicly traded company preferred.
- Knowledge of financial principles and processes, with ability to navigate complex environments.
- Extensive expertise the following areas:
- The application of GAAP as well as financial reporting and disclosure requirements and appropriate internal control environment and practices. Expert in record to report process.
- Preparation and review of financial statements and writing technical accounting memos on complex accounting and audit issues.
- Financial reporting and financial systems
- General understanding of and willingness to learn:
- Treasury and investment management
- Tax knowledge of non-profit laws
- Payroll best practices and knowledge of international payroll processes and laws.
- Experience planning and managing projects of high importance such as external audits, financial meetings with the CFO and Controller, and the preparation and oversight of financial materials to be used in foundation leadership meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex financial concepts to partners with diverse backgrounds, including leadership, program staff, grantees and other foundation operational resources.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills.
- Critical thinking, ability to work across teams; excellent communication skills, ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate complex financial concepts to partners with diverse backgrounds, including leadership, program staff, grantees and other foundation operational resources.
- Extensive technical accounting, auditing and internal controls experience and the ability to mentor other staff in these areas. Experience in tax or payroll areas desired.
- Strong initiative, organizational skills and ability to work autonomously and cross-functionally while remaining flexible to changing tasks, priorities, and roles and responsibilities.
- Models professional courage– engages in trust based debate, asks hard or unpopular questions, and is willing to say no.
- Intellectually curious with solution orientation and the ability to identify new ways of working.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Technical expert/leader in their industry domain including processes, systems and tools with the ability to influence and drive change.