Senior Tax Accountant
5 - 7 years experience • Accounting, Finance & Insurance
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Review federal and state income tax returns, including extensions and quarterly estimates. May include preparation of more complex returns.
- Assist with federal life/non-life consolidated income tax return and other complex unitary, combined, and/or consolidated state returns.
- Provide assistance to IRS & state examination requests.
- Assist with the preparation of complex GAAP tax provisions and liaise with attest auditors.
- Research and document tax return and tax accounting positions.
- May be asked to assist with complex investment related tax adjustments associated with partnership investments, bonds, and equities.
- Analyze existing processes to identify and implement continuous improvement initiatives.
Nature of Impact
This role strongly impacts the business by ensuring TIAA accurately and timely
i) complies with worldwide tax laws and
ii) files financial statements.
Area of Impact
Controllers Group & lines of business supported
Demonstrate an exceptional standard of quality, accuracy, attention to detail, thoughtful analysis and problem-solving.
Interactions / Interpersonal Skills:
- Works closely with tax accounting and tax compliance Directors to ensure internal tax accounting and compliance deadlines are met.
- Leads or contributes to projects and decisions that have moderate to high impact to the business.
- Work closely with tax department staff to drive continuous improvement throughout the department.
- Partner with finance/accounting departments and certain lines of business to ensure their needs are properly considered and met.
- Communication style that allows teaming with co-workers in other offices.
Required Skills, Certification(s), Degree(s) and/or License(s):
- 5+ years of experience in a large tax department or public accounting firm
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required
- Must have a strong knowledge of federal and state income tax concepts
- Must have a strong knowledge of underlying processes associated with preparing income tax returns.
- Tax experience in the financial services industry is strongly preferred
- CPA preferred
- Must be able to work well as an individual contributor and as part of a team.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- Experience with administering Thomson Reuters tax applications – ONESOURCE Income Tax, ONESOURCE Tax Provision, DataFlow, etc. – a plus.