Support management with the administrative, accounting and tax compliance responsibilities associated with the tax function for the Association and related entities. Help ensure the Association and related entities comply with all applicable federal, state and local tax rules and regulations. Emphasis on accuracy over volume will require an individual who can exhibit an attention to detail. The position requires communication across various functional groups and departments. The individual that will excel in this role will have strong interpersonal skills as well as a firm understanding of tax and accounting principles. RESPONSIBILITIES (Specific areas of responsibility include but are not limited to):
- Assist in the preparation and filing of all federal and state sales and use tax, property tax, income tax and not-for-profit tax returns (e.g., 990, 990-T). Income taxresponsibilities may include assistance with the preparation of the federal and state tax returns, including state apportionment.
- Liaison with tournament staff and accounts payable on larger vendor invoices to ensure correct sales tax paid.
- Review legal contracts in connection with various events to ensure proper treatment of tax.
- Analyze GAAPfinancial statements to determine proper tax treatment.
- Perform calculations based on financials to determine payments on extensions, estimated tax payments, and other requirements as necessary.
- Communicate with various state and federal agencies in response to notices, inquiries, and other requests.
- Research local, state, and federal tax issues using industry software. Write formal memos in “FIRAC” form as necessary.
- Maintain a tax calendar for tracking due dates of tax filings, and be able to handle a large volume of deadlines with a high degree of autonomy.
- Assist with Information Document Requests (IDRs) and other requests related to federal income and state sales taxaudits.
- Assist the Tax Director with preparation and analysis of the provision for income taxes (ASC 740).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Five years of tax or relevant experience in public accounting or multi-functional corporate tax setting.
- Prior exposure to the non-profit industry is a plus.
- Masters in Tax, Accounting, or CPApreferred.