OSITION INFORMATION: Tax Accounting professional who performs various tax compliance & research functions at the entity level. Supervises small tax team to ensure that tax issues are handled timely and that risk of noncompliance is minimized. Works in conjunction with the Assistant Controller and Controller to provide guidance relating to tax issues in the University environment.
- Prepare/review calculations and schedules for the annual tax returns including Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT) research and recommendations.
- Assist with research, preparation and filing of various federal and state tax returns, including, but not limited to: Payroll related forms 941, W2 and 1042S; Accounts Payable related forms 1099 and 1042S; Bursar related form 1098T.
- Assist with sales tax research and manage sales tax reporting across campus to ensure compliance at all levels of the University.
- Review local state payroll tax issues and other U.S. state tax research and compliance requirements.
- Consult with management on various tax issues and perform related tax research.
- Perform bond compliance activities and private use evaluations, as needed.
- Consult and educate campus on taxability of various issues such as guests on campus, stipends, contracts and other related matters.
- Research and advise on tax implications for doing business outside of the U.S. such as Italy and other countries.
- Make recommendations on foreign payroll tax issues on working from abroad, and VAT issues for online classes and other VAT related topics.
- Oversee foreign national tax analysis including the Substantial Presence Test and tax treaties. Oversee the preparation of treaty exemption forms, W4 and W8BEN using Tax Navigator/Windstar and Oracle PeopleSoft for foreign national faculty, staff and students.
- Oversee the tax status determination and tax withholding/exemption on foreign national individuals and companies. Review and approve W8 forms related to Accounts Payable.
- Present foreign national U.S. tax overview at new hire orientation. Liaise with managers and payroll coordinators and immigration department.
- Oversee NRA testing of tax updates for Tax Navigator and Oracle PeopleSoft systems.
- Performs various duties as needed to successfully fulfill the function of the position.
KEY SKILLS A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WOULD LIKELY HAVE INCLUDE:
- Strong work ethic to ensure the team meets applicable deadlines,
- Positive outlook to effectively lead team members and engage with peers across campus,
- Attention to detail to ensure reports distributed by the Office are complete and accurate,
- Attitude of efficiency that helps deleverage staff and improve workflows,
- Questioning mindset that looks to learn and improve on the way things have been done,
- Strong understanding of university policies and procedures,
- Inclusive leadership style that seeks input across the team and within other units,
- Welcoming, team-first attitude that creates a positive work environment both within the department and within those areas with which the department engages,
- Flexible work style to successfully shift between high-priority projects to support the Office and the University,
- Clear, concise communication style that engages stakeholders in a professional manner
Education: BS/BA Degree and a minimum of 18 hours of Accounting coursework, AND:
- 48 months of experience as a professional Accountant, and/or 24 months experience as a Tax Accountant.
- Advanced Excel skills with ability to build and manipulate spreadsheets
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Strong initiative to solve problems
- Ability to interpret policy
- Project management skills
- Ability to do tax research, and advise on federal, state & foreign national tax issues.
- Working knowledge of US tax issues for foreign national faculty, staff and students
- Ability to determine tax status and tax withholding/exemption on foreign national individuals and companies
Certifications/ Licenses: Certified Public Accountant (CPA)