About the role
As a Systems Engineer on the Production Operations Delivery team you’ll be working to build efficiencies between the Ops and Dev teams. You will be functionally aligned with Product teams helping them optimize existing platforms and engineering the next generation of the Zillow Group cloud native services. Close partnerships between the Product developers and infrastructure Operations teams starting during the design phases of new work is key to the success of our 160 million unique users who visit Zillow Group brands' mobile apps and websites each month.
The Zillow Group brands growth plan relies heavily on cloud platforms and partnering with our internal Support teams across ZG. We are looking for an experienced, talented and motivated individual who will support our internal partners and highly distributed systems.
This position gives you opportunities to:
- Develop infrastructure solutions that allow our production services scale with the business
- Troubleshoot production deployment related issues and analyze performance and operational metrics against service level objectives
- Interface with internal groups (product, engineering, and operations teams) with whom we partner
- Implement end-to-end quality assessment and analytics for various distributed services
- Participate in cross-functional projects and take ownership of individual feature efforts
- Lead in the adoption of Continuous Delivery and automation of platform services
- Implement tools and dashboards for various services and operations in the Infrastructure team
About the team
We are a production operations team that is passionate about building and configuring well-designed, automatic systems. These systems eliminate toil and produce effective feedback so that each person in the Zillow.com product development and operations life cycle knows what they need to do to meet their service reliability objectives. We’re on a hybrid platform with a mix of people to support that complex environment to match.
Who you are
You have hands on experience with a mixture of Software Development, Systems Administration or Systems Engineering, and a passion for harnessing data to create virtuous feedback loops to help product teams and operations teams achieve their goals. Maybe you are an Ops person who has adapted to the latest cloud technologies or a developer who owns supporting their production code. It doesn’t matter how you got here but you understand what it takes build and support resilient services in the cloud.
You are excited about building software systems that make running websites automatic, that accurately measures and alerts on vital signs of product health, and that helps product managers define and realize their service reliability goals to maximize the delight of users.
- 4+ years of software development and/or extensive scriptingexperience in object-oriented languages like Python, Java, or C#
- 4+ years of Linux systems administration or equivalent experience
- Very comfortable with current cloud native solutions and AWS migration challenges
- Proven experience working closely with Dev teams and Agile methodologies
- Comfortable with the requirements of a 24/7 on-call production environment
- BS in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience