Position: Senior Systems Engineer (UNIX and Linux Administration)
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Duration: Full time
The Sr. Applications Engineer will be an integral member of the Application Engineering Services (AES) Group and is responsible creating and maintaining the availability of all Guy Carpenter applications running on UNIX (Solaris) and Linux (Redhat) operating systems. This includes non-production and production environments. This position will work with the Application Support Group, Product Mangers, Architecture and BAU teams to support the operations of critical GC Applications and Infrastructure. Additionally this individual will act as an internal escalation point within the team to troubleshoot and resolve complex problems. S/he must be a team player and willing to teach others.
Troubleshoot application and operating system issues
Create technical diagrams and specifications to support system infrastructure design
Work on projects as needed by the business and internal IT
Mentor team members on the AES team
Participate in on call rotation as escalation contact
Evaluate and automate routine procedures
- Bachelor?s degree in computer science, IT or related field.
- 5+ years of UNIX and Linux Administration experience (Solaris and RedHat preferred)
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
- Ability to understand and resolve complex technical issues
- Experience with the following applications or services:
- Oracle Weblogic or
- Apache Tomcat (or equivalent) Apache HTTP or Nginx
- Jenkins / Hudson
- Nexus or Artifactory
- Intermediate scripting (any combination of Perl, Ruby, shell, Python, and others)
- Understanding of proper industry change management procedures required.
- Excellent time management, project management and organizational skills
- Customer focused, and dedicated to the best possible user experience
- Experience with clustering, load balancing and HA