What you'll be doing…
The Senior Systems Engineer's responsibilities include all those of a Systems Engineer, but with additional responsibilities over more-complex and unique duties and assignments. Responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware, application software and related infrastructure. Participate in all phases of development and deployment. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of development and operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation also involves the transition of software from development to production by performing deployment activities within the project life cycle.
Some of the things you'll be doing include…
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements
- Develop and maintain installation, configuration and security procedures
- Research and recommend innovative and, where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Maintains system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting system hardware, software, networks and operating and system management systems escalating application problems to vendor.
- Upgrades system by conferring with vendors and services; developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements and new software.
- Apply OS/application patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Perform ongoing performance system and application tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
Who you are…
- Highly Technical.
- Must have strong ability to automate tasks using scripting languages (Python, PERL, Bash/Korn Shell etc)
- Must have proven understanding of high availability, data/system replication, and disaster recovery methodologies in the system and database spaces (MySQL Postgres,Vertica,)
- Hadoop is a plus
- Monitoring systems (Zabbix, Cacti, Sitescope, Keynote)
- Automated tools sets (Puppet, spacewalk, Red Carpet)
- Demonstrated success in reducing manual efforts through scripting and automation
- Windows and/or Linux systems, storage platforms and industry standard networking technologies
- Education. BS degree in a technical major, such as engineering or computer science
- 5+ years of experience as a Linux and/or Windows system administrator
- Certification in Red Hat Enterprise (RHCE) or Oracle Enterprise Linux (Linux Administrator OCA).
- Experience supporting software development teams, tools, and processes a plus.
- You are a Recruiter! Tableau hires company builders and, in this role, you will be asked to be on the constant lookout for the best talent to bring onboard to help us continue to build one of the best companies in the world