In this role, you have the opportunity to
Be a part of Philips Hospital Respiratory Care Systems Engineering group as a Senior Systems Engineer that is responsible for implementing technical strategies, evaluating and developing products, and providing a superior level of technical support that benefits the organization. This person will assume a role of a technical lead who collaborates closely with Engineers, Architects, and Test in the Ventilation business within Hospital Respiratory Care (HRC) to develop and commercialize Class 2 medical devices. The position reports to the Director of System Engineering for HRC.
You are responsible for
- Incorporates essential operating mechanisms of systems engineering of medical device design and engineering principles and adheres to medical device regulations.
- Works with the program manager, external partners, functional and sub team leaders to design innovative system architecture consisting of mechanical, electrical and software components.
- Develops a working relationship with colleagues outside R&D to understand the market space and translates user/market requirements to system requirements.
- Works with cross functional engineering teams to ensure proper allocation and ownership of the product requirements to the subsystem and component level while ensuring compliance with known standards.
- Leads the team to an understanding of the overall development plan, identifies technology roadmaps and gap assessments.
- Identifies technical risks and plans for early risk mitigation, continuously evaluating alternatives for system components.
- Assesses V&V testing to determine successful completion or assist with re-designs / re-tests / regressions as required.
- Works closely with project team leads within System Engineering to identify resource gaps and mentor’s junior engineers.
You are a part of
The Systems Engineering team drives the systems elements of R&D development projects including systems requirement definition and management, architectural definition, control/software/interface product specification and simulation, build integration, system testing and qualification to meet product level requirements.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- MS or PhD in relevant field including Computer, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, or other related science.
- 10+ years of experience in safety critical complex electro-mechanical, embedded systems, solutions and services industry (Medical industry experience is desired - automotive, aerospace industries is preferred).
- Minimum of 5 years of experience developing respiratory care products.
- Good understanding of SW development processes and methodology, with NPD and Sustaining experience.
- Must have/be able to build out a broad interdisciplinary working knowledge of multiple engineering domains including: SoC platforms; connectivity and stability; web services for collecting device telemetry; data security and encryption for confidential patient information; data analysis and visualization; among other relevant platforms to determine the most appropriate architecture build for multiple generations of a new product.
- Experience developing FDA regulated products, familiarity with various standards such as IEC 60601, IEC 62304 and other standards.
- Experience in system level design, requirements and safety risk assessments at the system level, UFMEA, DFMEA, Hazard Analysis.
- Working knowledge of tools and processes for specifications development, traceability, version control and issue tracking such as Jira is nice to have.
- Experience debugging complex electro-mechanical software systems using JTAG, oscilloscope, logic analyzer, profilers.
- Experience in safety critical software development using languages such as C/C++/Python/Lua/Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow is a plus.
- Working knowledge of control systems, PID controls, sensors/actuators, signal processing
- Proven ability to communicate in both verbal and written form to technical and non-technical customers, stakeholders, and various levels of management.
- Solid understanding of System Verification and Validation test plan/protocols, executing V&V activities, generating and analyzing test reports.
- Proven leadership ability in leading engineers directly or by influence, multi-functional teams.
- Good communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required, as well as the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- US work authorization is a precondition of employment. The company will not consider candidates who require sponsorship for a work-authorized visa.
In addition, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following
- Leadership: The ability to make things happen by encouraging and channeling the contributions of others; recognizing and addressing important issues in a timely manner, and acting as an agent for change and continual improvement when required to achieve results.
- Accountability/Ownership: Work closely with team members and take ownership
- Influence: The demonstrated ability to gain acceptance and commitment from other to one’s own beliefs and ideas.
- Negotiating: The ability to construct and maintain a strong bargaining position so as to insure positive response and agreement: striving for win-win situations.
- Adaptability: Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment and organize work assignments to meet established timetables.
- Data-driven decision-making: ability to move teams through vague and complex situations. Present complex ideas in a simple manner to resolve issues.
- Relentless focus on Quality and Transparency as an organizational value.
In return, we offer you
At Philips, we are driven by our mission to improve the lives of 3 billion people per year by 2025, and every day we move closer to achieving our goal by creating cutting-edge solutions that lead to confident diagnosis, improved care, and increased quality of life for patients. We enable our employees to create a legacy in life through their work and support their development through people centric learning, total rewards and personalized development planning programs.