The Systems/Product Engineer works with a Project Engineers and Project Managers to originate system level requirements to be used by engineering development team members in their development of detailed requirements for mechanical, electrical, software and other project-specific technologies. They are responsible for communicating with both internal development groups and external customer representatives to facilitate development of robust system specifications that can be effectively tested through the design verification process and be compliant to applicable domestic and international safety standards. The System Engineer also executes the risk management activities, product verification, regulatory, and certification activities involved in marketing products.
The primary responsibilities of this position include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Works with a design team through full product development and into production.
- Consults on system architectures, assess technical requirements and competencies needed during quoting and oversee design progressions during product developments.
- Works with customers marketing, technical, and other staff to assist staff in clarifying existing intended uses of the product; defining the interfaces between the product and the uses; and specifying the interactions with accessory and adjunctive equipment.
- Obtaining and categorizing information from equivalent products on potential use failure modes of product
- Provides technical input to help identify and solve project risks that may affect overall project plans and schedules
- Leads in the development and implementation of platform and product architectures in collaboration with senior technical staff.
- Guides and oversees the development of system component requirements, interfaces, and specifications necessary to maintain the consistency and integrity of the architectures.
- Develops use cases for devices from the customers product requirements
- Coordinates all system level activities with the Project Managers, Mechanical, Software, and Electrical Engineers
- Works with the senior regulatory and quality staff to determine the applicable international safety and regulatory constraints for the product to ensure timely incorporation of these constraints into the system requirements.
- Develops test scenarios for key performance requirements of product in collaboration with senior development staff and use knowledge gained to iterate system specifications with necessary detail to assure robust product performance.
- Works with the internal engineering staff to ensure that product design incorporates mitigations to potential failure modes.
- Participants in the development of production test equipment
- Light to moderate travel to company, customer and other facilities. May be international.
To be considered for this position, a candidate will possess, and demonstrate, the following skills, education, experience level and characteristics:
- BS in Engineering. May consider a degree in Physics or other technically focused discipline where engineering experience is evident
- 8 years experience; 4+ years experience electronics product engineering preferred
- Excellent time management skills
- Quick study with ability to come up to speed on current projects quickly
- Must have working knowledge of multiple engineering disciplines
- Requires some knowledge of products, technologies, and customer markets
- Must be able to manage and resolve conflicting product and project requirements.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interface effectively with customers, subordinates, peers, subcontractors, and vendors
- Must be able to operate with minimal supervision in a manner consistent with divisional and corporate goals