SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Senior Systems Engineer will be a member of the R&D engineering team working in the development and support of respiratory and patient monitoring products. Senior Systems Engineers are expected to work with other members of the engineering staff to provide technical systems level expertise and solutions to engineering problems. The Senior Systems Engineer will also participate in the creation of test plans, design verification requirements, and other project documentation.
1. Works with teams to develop systems architectures for life support ventilators.
2. Uses modeling, hardware-in-the-loop simulation and actual devices to develop, debug and evaluate system behavior.
3. Designs, develops and revises algorithms to implement, refine, and enhance product features.
4. Works with other technical disciplines (Mechanical, Electrical, Software and Clinical) to develop, implement, and verify system solutions for a life support ventilator.
5. Performs system-level or component-level analysis.
6. Adheres to defined development procedures.
7. Demonstrates good design practices.
8. Defines and develops Use Cases for products based on the environment of clinical use.
9. Provides clinical relevance for parameters identified.
10. Develops specifications for ventilation breath delivery parameters in different modes of operation.
11. Participates in requirements development, systems level document reviews.
12. Evaluates performance of products based on industry practices and studies.
13. Responsible for evaluation of product performance and system verification and work products.
14. Design and development of test systems required for verification.
15. Develop and execute test protocols for system verification.
16. Implements system verification in accordance with defined development procedures.
17. Provides feedback to improve system verification and document quality.
18. Functions well in a team environment.
19. Generates high-quality work products.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC/NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Participates in other activities, such as performing hazard and risk analysis, reviews of designs and tests, etc.
2. Supports hardware, software and systems level verification and validation testing.
3. May provide hardware and firmwaresupport on existing sustaining products.
4. May work on process improvement activities.
5. Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
A Day in the Life
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Performs technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, evaluates alternatives including cost and risk, supportability and analyses for total systems.
- Analyses are performed at all levels of total system product to include: concept, design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal.
- Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints.
- Performs functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience
Bachelor's Degree Required
BS in Engineering (Biomedical, Controls, Mechanial, or Electrical) + 4 years or equivalent (Advanced degreepreferred)
4+ years engineering experience in industry (i.e. medical, aeronautics, nuclear, defense, etc.).
· Familiar with control systems design
· Familiar with classical and modern control systems designtheory, digital signal processing
· Proficient with MATLAB and Simulink modeling/simulation
· Fluent in C/C++ programming language
· Strong analytical skills
· Familiar with systems engineering processes, in particular top down design using system requirements.
· Experience or significant interest in medical systems or the interaction between devices and the human physiology.
· Able to work in a cross functional team environment.
· Knowledge of automated test systems..
· Medical instrument development experience is a plus.
· Experience with a documented product development process or familiarity with FDA and ISO standards is a plus.
· Familiar with risk management techniques (i.e. Risk Analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), etc.) is a plus.
· Familiarity with FDA Quality Systems Regulations (QSR) is a plus.
· Knowledge of automated test systems is a plus.
· Good communication skills
· Good team player
Reports to the Control Systems Engineering Manager for functional leadership. Accountable to a PrincipalSystems Engineer(s) and/or Project Manager(s) for project-related responsibilities.
Frequent interaction with team members from other disciplines, particularly hardware and software engineers and in-house clinicians, to understand project requirements and to adhere to project schedules. Possible interaction with medical professionals, third-party vendors, manufacturers, subcontractors and other users.
Normal Office Conditions
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.