“Jacobs National Security Solutions (NSS) provides world-class IT network and service management capabilities; cutting edge cyber threat awareness and cybersecurity solutions; innovative web- and software applications development; and advanced data analytics for major clients in the Intelligence Community, Department of Defense, and Federal Civilian Agencies.
Our forward thinking solutions deliver an integrated approach to IT network design and management, full lifecycle IT service management, IT service delivery, asset management, logistics and procurement, and vendor management. We leverage the expertise and passion of our employees to conduct identity and access management, penetration testing, and vulnerability assessments for our nation’s most closely guarded agencies and networks. Our Cyber Security Operations Centers ensure safe, effective network operations for Federal clients while our data scientists are helping stop illegal acts before they can endanger Americans or our way of life.
Jacobs promotes a culture of operational excellence to create a safer, smarter, and more connected world while upholding the highest standards of compliance, quality and integrity.
We continue to thrive and need your talent and motivation to help propel us farther, faster.”
Jacobs is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to support our Technology Lab in our Columbia, MD Broken Land Parkway office. Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Architect, engineer and manage all aspects of the Windows, Linux and VMware platforms, including strategy development and production support
- Work within an Engineering Team under the Engineering Manager
- Act as principal technical authority for the Windows, Linux and VMware server environments
- Service client enterprisessupported by the Engineering Team including Windows Enterprise, Centos Linux, Linux subsystems and VMware environments
40% A. Team Guidance:
- Collaborate with Windows Systems Administrators, Linux Systems Administrators, Network Engineers and software developers
- Assist Engineering manager in balancing team workload and administration team
- Exercise thought leadership and innovation in providing solutions for technical challenges, as well as in the creation of long-term technical road maps for technology solutions
- Drive innovation in all aspects of the Windows Linux and VMware platforms, improve automation utilizing Saltstack, and evolve the core platform
- Create robust platform automation strategy at an in depth technical level and drive individual team members to realize that strategy
- Work with vendor partners and team members to determine support cycles, component road maps, and support requirements for systems and technologies
- Recommend and develop technical standards for customer enterprises regarding physical and virtual hardware platforms for Windows, Linux and VMware Operating Systems
- Recommend and develop processes, procedures, and best practices for operating and securing Windows servers to ensure managed environments maintain the highest levels of availability, quality, and performance
- Work with individual team members to ensure processes and practices are developed, understood and followed
- Serve as the technical lead for implementations and upgrade projects related to Windows Linux and VMware services
- Develop detailed implementation plans for the installation of servers, system software, and utilities, technical infrastructure, and multi-user applications
- Lead and/or perform installation, maintenance, management, and support of enterprise Windows, Linux and VMware server environments
- Consult with customers to determine the best way to meet their technical needs; analyze requirements for new/enhanced server environments; and perform research and development activities related to the selection and installation of complex applications, software and operating system
- Actively participate in production outage incidents, ensuring root-cause analysis is identified and knowledge gained is applied for process improvement
- Design and develop tests and testing procedures, prepare documentation on test criteria, execute according to plans and document results. Tests are to: establish proof of concept, functionality, and test against negative impacts of introducing new systems and technology into existing infrastructure.
50% B. Windows, Linux and VMware Systems Support
- Install, patch, and maintain servers running the Windows, Linux and VMware operating system
- Build, configure, install, and maintain various software packages on Windows, Linux and VMware systems
- Document and communicate system enhancements or changes utilizing formal change management system
- Perform user management tasks such as creating accounts, changing passwords, etc.
- Analyze and respond to output from server monitoring systems.
10% C. Systems Management
- Consult with customers to understand technical requirements and recommend solutions that are consistent with executing the requirements for customers mission
- Assist in planning coordination, implementation, upgrade, and maintenance of server hardware and software relating to departmental systems assigned
- Provide mentoring and guidance to junior staff supporting departmental systems
5% D. Personal/Professional Development
- Attend external training sessions and industry conferences in topics closely related to assigned projects and responsibilities
- Maintain current awareness of trends, methods, and technological advances in the industry and profession, especially as they relate to assigned projects and responsibilities and collaborate with peers
- Ensure safety rules and regulations are met including necessary training and drills
- Typically has a BS degree in a computer or system science discipline from an accredited college or university and five (5) years to eight (8) years of progressive, relevant experience, or an MSdegree in a computer or system science and four (4) to six (6) years of progressive experience, or Ph.D. degree in a computer of system science discipline and zero (0) to three (3) years of related experience
- 4+ years experience as a Systems Engineer
- 7+ years of experience with Server Administration
- 4+ years experience with Virtualization
- Active TS/SCI with current polygraph
- 3+ years experience with Linux highly desired
- Experiece with Windows Enterprise, Centos Linux, Linux subsystems and VMware environments
- Certifications such as: MSCE Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, VCAP, VCP, and/or CISSP