The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is hiring a Senior Systems Engineer, Information Security. This role is responsible for establishing and maintaining the enterprise vision, strategy, architecture and multi-year roadmap that ensures the Institutes information assets are adequately protected. A key element of this role is communicating security at a strategic level to executive management and evangelizing security across the business to drive adoption of security practices. This role requires technical expertise to ensure NDI’s Security infrastructure complies with standard industry best practices and provides highest level of availability. As the Senior Systems Engineer, Information Security it is expected to stay apprised of the changing security landscape and implement best practices within the organization.
- Develop and implement a strategic long-term security strategy and roadmap to ensure NDIs information assets are adequately protected.
- Work with senior levels across NDI to assess and communicate acceptable levels of risk
- Lead the development of up-to-datesecurity policies and procedures, standards, guidelines and oversee their approval dissemination and maintenance.
- Ensure the that the security program is in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and contractual requirements of NDIs donors
- Oversee the evaluation, selection and implementation of information security solutions that are innovative, cost-effective and minimally disruptive. This includes monitoring and maintaining security systems infrastructure including log management, security information & event management (SIEM) tools and desktop/endpoint security solutions.
- Partner with Infrastructure and application teams to ensure that technologies are developed and maintained according to security policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Manage regular intrusion detection and vulnerability reporting and coordination of all required fixes.
- Develop metrics to measure the effectiveness of the security program and maturity over time.
- Monitor the industry and external environment for emerging threats and advise NDI management on appropriate courses of action.
- Liaise with law enforcement and other bodies as necessary to ensure NDI maintains a strong security posture.
- Perform security system configuration and administration, system updates, policy compliance, and security assessments.
- Performs IT forensic investigations and incident handling on risks to NDI
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field; the equivalent combination of education/certifications and experience in lieu of degree
- Professional certifications, such as CISSP, CISM, CISA
- Minimum of (8) experienceyears with network and security/cybersecurity protocols, systems administration experience in a structured work environment, professional or related setting
- In-depth experience with Windows server and Linux systems server and desktop administration required
- Experience with working independently with initiative and as a member of a team
- Experienceapplying problem solving and analytical skills to resolve technical issues recommending solutions.
- Experience with handling multiple tasks and working within a matrix, changing business environment
- Effective verbal and written communications skills with the ability to present and communicate technical information clearly and concisely to non-technical users.
- Organizational skills with attention to detail, accuracy, and time-frames
- Ability to practice discretion and maintain the confidentiality of data
- Experience interacting with diplomacy and tact when follow-up on requests in timely and efficient manner, using strong customer service skills
- Experience providing updates to supervisor on variances and status on regular basis
- Ability to work independently and with limited guidance, ability to identify problems and resolve collaboratively with other team members and vendor partners
Technical knowledge and software applications
- Experience with various programming languages, in particular scriptinglanguages
- Knowledge of securityrisk frameworks and standards such as ISO 27001-02, Fedramp 800-53, SANS-CAG, NIST, COBIT
- Understanding of cloud, SaaS, and IoT architectures and their implications on security strategy
- Advanced knowledge of HTTP(S), network protocols such as IP, TCP, UDP, DNS along with packet analysis
- Solid design and implementation experience on Meraki and Palo Alto Firewalls
- Advanced understanding of common IT security controls and protocols.
- Understanding in the areas of application programming, database and system design
- Understanding of Linux server administration and AWS administration
- Knowledge of application programming, database and system design, structure, functions and processes, and database tools.
- Knowledge of server operations, data communications and systems analysis and networks.
- Knowledge of networking, cloud computing and enterprise system architecture