This is a senior-level engineering position working in the Hayward Operations Team. Qualified candidates must have extensive instrument knowledge on all Illumina sequencing platforms, the ability to troubleshoot various failure modes, and the ability to train others in preventative maintenance best practices. The ability to present findings to peer groups, various customers, executives, and 20% travel is typical of the position.
• Mentor technicians on function and best practices of instrument problem identification and troubleshooting
• Design experiments to test instrument and component-level failures, interpreting results of testing to qualify or resolve product and process issues
• Create and conduct verification and validation protocols to qualify instrument refurbishment processes or products
• Lead technicians in troubleshooting, problem solving, failure analysis, root cause, and corrective action processes
• Manage individual projects and project teams including planning, scheduling, and budgetary tasks, and providing status reports and presentations
• Represent the Instrument Depot in all product sustaining meetings to release quality products into manufacturing and incorporate new designs into life sciences instruments
• Support engineering change activities including but not limited to work instruction release, revisions, process deviations, and test requirement changes
• Lead process documentation, creation of training programs, and sharing of best practices for the Instrument Depot and Field Service Engineering customers
• Lead support efforts for high-profile, or critically elevated customers, at times requiring travel for effective communication of troubleshooting and countermeasures.
• BSc/MS: 8+ years of experience, PhD: 3+ years of experience
• Demonstrated experience with instrument and component failure analysis and troubleshooting
• Expertise in function and troubleshooting issues on a wide range of Illumina Sequencing Platforms
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively across disciplines
• Experience in technical training of best practices to peers and/or customers