Ciena may well be the most important technology company you’ve never heard of. The innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show) are the products of ingenuity from some brilliant and forward-thinking companies. But those companies rely on Ciena, another vanguard of innovation, to create and advance the underlying networks that bring their breakthroughs to our doorsteps. VR, AI, IOT, 5G … literally none of it would be possible without the mind-boggling technology that makes the internet itself work. For more than 25 years, Ciena has been the global leader in networking strategy, and our technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies in the world.
What will you do at Ciena?
This Sales Engineering position requires strong account strategy and large system sales background to successfully position and win opportunities in the Verizon Metro and LD applications. A background in EMS/NMS OS systems and Back -office integration is essential. Highly motivated, strong interpersonal skills, presentation skills and ability to handle many competing priorities within customer accounts. Ability to direct activities of a Sales Engineer to ensure delivery of network recommendations, designs, and quotes.
Position preferred location is Dallas area.
- Responsible for Ciena equipment standardization and integration into customer Networks
- Responsible for developing strong customer relationships that negate competitive infiltration into Verizon.
- Strong focus on winning new business and the ability to maintain and expand opportunities in existing footprint.
- Thorough understanding of Ciena products, especially the 6500 family as applied to metro and network transformation/ modernization applications.
- Overall responsibility for the sales and fulfillment process associated with the regional activities
- Responsible for direct sales activities requiring product presentations at all levels of management
- Manage and develop key opportunities for Verizon Business in order to generate maximum revenues for Ciena at the appropriate margin levels.
- Build and implement account strategy plan that best positions Ciena to maximize its revenue streams and margins in accordance with company expectations
- Use technical and other means to build barriers to entry for competition.
- Participate in setting strategy and tactics for each specific sales objective
- Advanced knowledge of the competitive landscape and the regional business market
- Help prioritize various sales opportunities.
Collaboration with stakeholders
- Work with extended Ciena team, including executive team, product marketing, product management, and sales operations to achieve sales and revenue objectives
- Advocate on behalf of Verizon with internal Ciena organizations to obtain product features, delivery dates, and price levels required to drive winning customer solutions.
- Highly motivated, strong interpersonal skills, ability to handle many competing priorities
- Strong leadership skills, with ability to influence stakeholder organizations to deliver objectives
- Ability to quickly evaluate account opportunity and set direction
- System solution orientation
- Detail focused with strong follow through
- Ability to prioritize, organize and operate in a fast moving, aggressive environment
- Knowledge of layer 0, 1, 2 & 3 protocols/services.
- Working knowledge of Element Management and Network Management systems
- Programming background in JSON, Python and C++
- Strong understanding of large account sales and ability to think strategically about new business opportunities. Ability to make sound judgments
- Technical background in optical networking. Knowledge of network engineering and sales engineering roles and responsibilities a plus.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Keen awareness of market intelligence with respect to competitors
- Background in network transformation / modernization and DACs migration a plus.
- 4-year degree (Technical or Business) or relevant work experience
- 5+ years system sales, system engineering, network engineering or combination
- Strong understanding of organizational selling.
Rewarding experience. Meaningful outcomes.
Making a difference in people's lives through design and implementation of leading network technologies. That's what motivates us.
A distinct way to work
Free thinking, free discussion, and collaboration are the norm. Expect more satisfying outcomes - both personal and professional.
Ciena values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender or age.
Ciena is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific needs / accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to any specific needs / accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
What you can expect from us
- You will receive notification of your successful application
- Successful applicants will be contacted by Talent Acquisition for an initial discussion
- If suitable you will be considered for the short list and our formal interview process