- Requisition ID: 217135
- Position Title: Senior Industrial/Systems Engineer, ES-Reston (217135)
- Location: Reston, VA
- Relocation Authorized: National - Family
- US Citizenship Required: Yes
- Other Requirements: Pre-employment drug screen and background check; Possess an active secret security clearance or able to obtain one upon hire
Project Background and Job Overview
This position is for a Systems Engineer who will work on various projects as part of the NS&E Engineering Services team. As part of the team, you will be developing proposals and project documents within the industrial/systems engineering discipline. In addition, you will be interfacing and coordinating with other engineering disciplines and the client in the development of the design. The successful candidate must have strong organizational and teamwork skills, proven problem-solving abilities, a can-do attitude, and the desire to innovate designs. The projects that will be assigned involve work throughout various government sectors, including DOD, NASA, and DOE.
The Senior Systems Engineer will be responsible for having a working knowledge of precedents in the Senior Systems Engineering area, the principles and practices of related technical areas and of coordinating work with other technical disciplines. The Senior Systems Engineer understands the standard engineering work planning, scheduling and cost estimating, and conducts independent work requiring judgment in the application of engineering techniques. Normally uses conventional approaches to technical problems encountered. Provides technical direction and assigns work to engineers, designers, and drafters who assist on specific assignments.
This position is located in Reston, VA. However, the successful candidate will be expected to travel up to 25-50% of the time.
- Plans, schedules, conducts, and coordinates detailed phases of engineering work for a designated project.
- Plans, coordinates or prepares equipment or work specifications, bid evaluations and award recommendations for equipment.
- Coordinates engineering efforts between specialty and other engineering groups or disciplines, with the client, suppliers, and contractors and between other groups.
- When delegated, assumes a lead technical role over other engineers or project subgroups for completing specific tasks.
- Assists in on-the-job training of assigned personnel and provides input for their performance evaluations.
- Prepares letters to vendors and clients.
- Reviews bid analyses and makes recommendation.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of conceptual studies, designs, reports or proposals.
- Performs or assists in the performance of problem analysis and original design.
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of cost estimates, quantify take-offs and staffing requirements for proposals, forecasts and change orders.
- Reviews and checks work of subordinate Systems Engineers.
- Prepare functional/system analysis to define facility/system design requirements.
- Establish means of verifying requirements implementation, including acceptance criteria.
- Prepare system and facility design criteria documents.
- Support system-level design verification, requirements verification, test requirements specification, and requirements flowdown and traceability.
- Perform impact analyses for proposed requirement changes.
- Perform assessments to validate and verify implementation and traceability of requirements into design.
- Participate in technical discussions to resolve system design issues.
- Research and document system operations and limits from the review of design and basis documents and from discussions with system designers.
- Perform model-based Systems Engineering using a commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) automation tool (e.g. IBM® Rationale DOORS® or Innoslate by Spec Innovations).
- Supports the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- Knowledge of systems, calculations, equipment, applications of methods, materials, and computers used within the Systems Engineering discipline.
- Knowledge of project controls within Systems Engineering.
- Knowledge of industry /regulatory codes and standards, and design criteria pertinent to the Systems Engineering discipline.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Knowledge ofSystems Engineering tools, such as IBM® Rationale DOORS® or Innoslate by Spec Innovations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Systems Engineering or a related field (e.g. Industrial, Mechanical, Chemical or Nuclear Engineering) from an accredited university or college with at least 6 years of relevant technical experience.
- US Citizenship required, no dual citizenship accepted.
- Must have or be able to obtain Engineer-In-Training (EIT) within 12 months of hire.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain any security clearances required for this position
- Possess an understanding of Systems Engineering principles and methods.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
- International Council of Systems Engineering (INCOSE) Certification
- Experience with Systems Engineering on DOE or DOD projects.
- Familiarity with implementation of requirements in design.
- Experience working with requirements management databases.
- Experience in performing design and/or requirements change impact analysis.
Shaping tomorrow together!
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.