$80K - $100K(Ladders Estimates)
Do you have a passion for using technology to bring about social change? We want you on our team!
Benetech is a groundbreaking nonprofit that empowers communities with software for social good. We identify and create software solutions that address deep-rooted social problems and are looking for others who are committed to do the same!
We are seeking a competent Systems Engineer to help manage the infrastructure running bookshare.org. Bookshare is the world's largest library of ebooks for people who cannot read traditional books due to disabilities like blindness, low vision and dyslexia. To date, Bookshare has delivered over 11 million ebooks to people withdisabilities in 80 countries. The individual who is selected will have the opportunity to arrange a a flexible schedule and/or work remotely. *Please include a cover letter that explains your interest in working with Benetech in addition to your resume
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with other systems team members to improve site infrastructure
• Assist in designing and implementing new infrastructure components
• Performance tune various components in the infrastructure stack
• Support the Bookshare software development team as needed
• Proactively keep up to date on AWS services and developments
• Automate existing manual processes
• Perform regular infrastructure maintenance
• Estimating AWS costs and identifying operational cost control mechanisms
• Perform site deployments as needed
• Perform traffic analysis and enhance site monitoring tools
• BSc. (CS/EE) or equivalent
• 4-5 years hands on experience maintaining systems for a site with 100s of thousands of users
• Experience automating infrastructure provisioning using technologies like AWS CloudFormation, Terraform or equivalent
• Extensive experience with numerous AWS technologies such as EC2, S3, CloudFront.
• Experience using Docker, authoring Docker files and using container orchestration tools i.e. AWS ECS, K8 or equivalent
• 2-4 years programming experience with Ruby, Python or another language
• Experience troubleshooting live applications with a complex multi-tier, distributed stack
• Linux expertise, particularly Ubuntu/Amazon distributions
• Experience managing a SQL RDBMS, preferably Postgres
• Motivated, self-driven, excellent communication skills
• Experience setting up web apps such as wikis, bug tracking systems, monitoring systems, etc.
• Familiarity with LDAP, password, and/or other user authentication systems
• Solid foundation in security principles (full stack)
• Ability to fine tune systems for performance
• Understanding of best practices as they relate to "five nines" uptime
• A commitment to quality documentation
Valid Through: 2019-10-14