Advarra is currently seeking a self-motivated professional to join our growing systems administration team. The Senior Systems Administrator will provide effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure in support of our OnCore customers and internal team members.
Essential Job Duties (in order of priority)
Ensure successful OnCore deployments and support
- Consulting with customers and project team members regarding products being adopted.
- Completing applications including installation, configuration and support of customer application environments.
- Delivering and installing product releases.
- Providing anti-virus software solutions, software updates, backups, server/desktop/hardware specifications, purchasing guidance, setup and configuration and technical support to our customers.
- Providing Network Administration for network printers, file servers, network security, network routing and services, cabling, network architecture design and customer network connectivity.
- Training and supporting customer technical staff on the administration of in customer environments.
- Leading customer projects while mentoring and directing the work of less experienced System Administrators.
Provide reliable information system performance
- Performing daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Installing new or rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories and storage.
- Developing and maintaining installation and configuration procedures.
- Administering and responding to internal team member requests through the issue tracking system.
- Training team members on new hardware or software.
- Contributing to and maintaining system standards.
- Creating, changing and deleting user accounts as requested.
- Researching and recommending innovative, and where possible automated, approaches for system administration tasks.
- Identifying and installing patches and upgrades on a regular basis.
- Performing ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades and resource optimization as required.
- Performing regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Performing daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created.
- Performing regular file archival and purges as necessary.
- Performing periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Maintaining server room and monitoring equipment.
- Repairing and recovering from hardware or software failures. Coordinating and communicating with impacted users.
Assist with leading the team
- Assisting with the creation of Standard Operation Procedures, as well as maintaining adherence to standards with all team responsibilities.
- Training and mentoring other Systems Team members on SOPs and troubleshooting methods for supporting customer and Advarra issues
- Planning and executing on technical projects, including but not limited to equipment and resource forecasting, identification of need, solution research, and deployment methods.
Job Qualifications & Job Evaluation
Documentation: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma required.
- Bachelors Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering, related discipline, or relevant work experience.
- Working knowledge of clinical trial process and medical informatics is preferred.
- Minimum 5+ years of total systems administration experience including 3+ years with UNIX and/or Linux.
- Minimum of 5 years of network administration with an emphasis on TCP/IP.
- Experience administrating, configuring and installing: JBOSS, Apache, Samba, Oracle, SSH, VPN, Security Certificates, CVS, Solaris, RedHat/Fedora Linux and/or Macintosh OS/X is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated customer interaction skills including listening, writing, and speaking. Must demonstrate the ability to confer technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze problems and understand the necessary components of a solution through analysis, planning, evaluation of cost/benefit, testing and reporting.
- Strong attention to detail to diagnose problems and ensure that solutions address the problem.
- Demonstrate proficient ability to capture and document software/hardware issues.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage project activities with and through internal relationships including Customer Support, Engineering, Quality Assurance and Project Management.
- Demonstrated accountability in project ownership and solution-oriented work approach.
- Planning, organizing, setting objectives and managing time to meet deadlines.
- Ability to influence other’s work outcomes without direct authority.
- Knowledge of creation and testing of network cabling is a plus.
Licenses & Certifications
- Ability to lift 25 pounds