Purpose of Job:
The incumbent provides systems level support for production critical systems, development and UAT systems, implementation support and user acceptance enviromment support on a global basis.
This support consists of: technical assistance to users, resolution and prevention of problems in a 7 x 24 production environment, systems capacity planning and recommendation of solutions to overcome resource constraints, systems build and deployment.
The incumbent is also responsible for establishing and enforcing departmental logical access control guidelines and liason with other departments for assistance with implementing new projects.
The incumbent will have knowledge mainly in linux/Redhat and Solaris.
The incumbent should posses advanced technical skills to resolve complex technical issues
1. Resolution and Prevention of Problems
• Presented with system level and application problems on mission critical systems requiring immediate resolution, thus ensuring systems are operational according to agreed upon service level agreements and that they have a high degree of integrity and reliability.
Often, resolution determination requires interaction with service vendors. Considerable effort is placed into determining, developing and delivering procedures to protect production environment from unplanned outages.
2. Provide Technical Assistance to Users
• Establishes system scope and objectives. Develops practical manual or automated procedures to solve complex problems. Prepares detailed specifications for programs, analyse and revises existing system logic deficiencies, oversees all phases of the technical system design and will advice, check and direct systems programs onto the correct technical system design.
3. Systems Administration and New Projects
• Perform system administration tasks associated with environment of specialisation for the development, UAT and production environment as well supporting production code implementation. New projects could include applications such as central back up for applications and databases, application monitoring tools or high-speed restoration software.
4. Control Access, Ensure Security and Contingency Planning
• Ongoing customisation and maintenance of system access facilities to ensure and enforce strict security of financial environment. Plan, implement and test contingency plans for various hardware and software environments.
5. System Monitoring and Updates
• During the course of the year, applications are monitored and statistical information regarding resource usage is compiled. Recommendations are put forward to management for capacity planning and system upgrades where resource constraints are identified to ensure that a reliable production environment is maintained.
6. User Group Involvement
• Participate in user groups to gain information on other user’s project successes and/or failures. Required to keep up to date with technological breakthroughs and trends in field of specialization.
- Infrastructure Planning: Provide assistance in the development and maintaining of the Unix/Linux infrastructure services based on the banks standards. Maintain up to date documentation.
- Infrastructure Administration: Responsible for configuring, implementing and trouble shooting any issues that involve unix infrastructure services
- Policies and Procedures: Assist in the identification, development and maintenance of policies and procedures that are relevant to the proper operational functions of the Unix infrastructure.
- Evaluate New Products and Services: Assist in the evaluation of new unix related products. Provide detailed results to be incorporated in the management summary reports.
- Users Education: Assist in presenting to the Unix admins with education materials to ensure that the UNIX Support groups are current with Unix infrastructure design and implementations.
- Disaster Recovery: Maintain operational readiness ensuring rapid and complete recovery in the event of a catastrophic disaster. Conduct testing on regular bases, as outlined in the banks policies and procedures, to ensure DR functionality. Update the policies and procedures as required.
- Risk Assessment: Ability to use the available Unix tools to monitor the environment and identify any issues which could be of a risk.
- Project Planning and Management: Provide assistance in project management functions during all stages of requirements rollout including: assessment, planning, initiation, implementation and management
- Capacity Planning: Update the capacity-planning model for the Unix environment. Make recommendations to management on the requirements to increase capacity when required
- 7+ years experience working with Solaris and Redhat Operation systems.
- Red Hat-Satellite experience is prefered
- Must have excellent working experience in Red Hat Enterprise Linux server, monitoring, engineering, virtualization and optimization.
- Participates in the development of strategies and direction for RHEL server, monitoring and solutions using current and emerging technologies.
- Participates in planning and recommendations for distributed and enterprise hardware systems management software and architecture.
- Participates in the evaluation and recommendation of new products, maintains knowledge of emerging technologies.
- Must have excellent working experience with problem solving, trouble shooting and analysis.
- Must have excellent working experience administering UNIX Solaris Operating System (Solaris 10/11)
- Must have experience in NIS, NFS, Solaris Zones and LDOMS
- Must have excellent working experience with Symantec Storage Foundation and Cluster Services
- Must have very good knowledge of SAN
- Must have very good knowledge of Virtualization platforms/technologies
- Must have very good scripting capabilities (shell, perl)
- Experience working in a large, enterprise environment with 100+ of servers
- Excellent verbal, written communication skills
- Works well under pressure and time constraints and can prioritize competing priorities appropriately.
- Willingness to work overtime and provide on-call support as required.
- A degree in computer science or a related designation with more than 5 years practical experience is desired.
- Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) certification is preferred
Requisition ID: 21291