There are 7 billion people on this planet. And by 2050, there will be 2 billion more... many moving into urban centers at an unprecedented rate. Making sure there is enough food, fiber and infrastructure for our rapidly growing world is what we’re all about at John Deere. And it’s why we’re investing in our people and our technology like never before in our 175-year history. Here the world’s brightest minds are tackling the world’s biggest challenges. If you believe one person can make the world a better place, we’ll put you to work. RIGHT NOW.
Primary Location: United States (US) - North Dakota (US-ND) - Fargo
Function: Product Engineering
Title: Senior SW Controls Engineer - 54657
As a Senior SW Controls Engineer at John Deere Electronics Systems, located in Fargo, ND, you will design new and existing embedded power electronics control software for different types of motors and converters for robust on/off road hybrid electric vehicles and harsh environments. Perform requirements capture and analysis. In addition, you will:
- Gather and format requirements directly from customers with limited assistance from others, as well as review and provide proper feedback about the requirements
- Perform advanced analysis through modeling and simulation, make recommendations and design decisions based on results with minimal assistance from others, and review the design proposals with peers to ensure proper application of power electronics control design techniques
- Perform and/or coordinate detailed unit, integration, and systems verification and validation using tools such as hardware in the loop and dyno testing. Review testing results with others to cover all corner conditions.
- Employ advanced troubleshooting strategies; determine root cause with limited support from others and provide support for remote and onsite troubleshooting
- Create required design/project documentation, effectively share knowledge with other team members and capture potential intellectual properties
- Work closely with other project team members as needed to ensure compatibility with application software, electronic hardware, and mechanical hardware
- Work with vehicle platform and system integration engineers to delivery electric drive solutions
- Travel as needed to accomplish the tasks required of this position, including meeting with customers to generate and/or revise product requirements, testing prototypes, and supporting onsite debugging and system integration
Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
What Skills You Need
- Advanced degree (M.S. or PhD) in Power Electronics
- 3 or more years of direct working experience or equivalent academic experience in advanced control algorithms development for Power Electronics applications such as motor control and dc-dc converters
- 5 or more years of working or academic experience using Matlab/Simulink or other simulation tools
- 3 or more years of experience using power lab equipment, such as power analyzer, oscilloscopes, multi-meters,etc.
- Good written and verbal communication skills (English)
What Makes You Stand Out
- Experience with advanced control theory (e.g. observer, sensorless control, grid-tied inverter, etc.), and digital signal processing techniques(e.g. filter design, FFT, wavelet, etc.)
- Experience with advanced development tools such as hardware in the loop, rapid control prototyping, frequency analyzer
- Experience with auto-code generation from simulation and modeling tools, (e.g. MATLAB, Simulink, Real-Time Workshop, etc.)
- Experience with vehicle power management, battery management system, and energy storage integration
- Experience with embedded software implementation on microcontrollers and FPGA, familiarity with all kinds of peripherals and RTOS
- Experience with communication networks (e.g. CAN etc.) and communication protocols (e.g. J1939, ISO11783 etc.)
Education (or equivalent work experience)
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering/Mechanical Engineering/ Power Electronics from an accredited engineering program
What You'll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go. Here, you'll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. We offer comprehensive relocation and reward packages to help you get started on your new career path. Click here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.