Sargent & Lundy is one of the most experienced full-service architect-engineering firms in the world. Founded in 1891, the firm is a global leader in power and energy with expertise in grid modernization, renewable energy, energy storage, nuclear power, and fossil fuels. Sargent & Lundy delivers comprehensive project services—from consulting, design and implementation to construction management, commissioning and operations/maintenance—with an emphasis on quality and safety. The firm serves public and private sector clients in the power and energy, gas distribution, industrial, and government sectors.
Sargent & Lundy's Core Values
Every decision we make is guided by our core values. By upholding these six principles, we support our clients, employees, and community. They are the compass we follow as we continue to grow our business and lead the industry.
- Quality – We provide high-quality deliverables and services through an uncompromising focus on peer review, safety, and continuous improvement.
- Accountability – Our actions demonstrate the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, and respect.
- Our People – We value diverse perspectives, encourage professional growth, and are committed to providing a work community where people thrive. Our work is challenging but rewarding.
- Our Clients – We deliver value and exceed our clients’ expectations through outstanding customer service, personal accessibility, and clear communication.
- Innovation – Since 1891, we have invested in the people, training, tools, and technology needed to quickly adapt in a constantly changing world.
- Meaningful Impact – We make a positive impact in the communities where we work and live.
As a Substation Physical Designer, you will be working in a project team environment with engineers and other designers involved in high and extra high voltage substation design. Responsibilities will include the preparation of the following substation drawings:
- Substation General Arrangement
- Substation Electrical Equipment Plans
- Substation Section Views (Elevations)
- Substation Detailed Bill of Material
- Substation Lightning Stroke Shielding Plan
- Substation Grounding Plan
- Substation Conduit, Electrical Connection and Grounding Details
- Substation Below Grade Conduit/Raceway Plan
- Control Building Equipment, Cable Tray, Lighting, Grounding Plans and Section
Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Interpreting and incorporating vendor information into design deliverables.
- Performing walkdowns at client facilities.
- Applying Client's standards related to the work.
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
This position requires a minimum of 10 years of substation physical design experience. Qualifications also include the following:
- An Associates Degree in Drafting or equivalent technical experience.
- Advanced knowledge of computer drafting tools (i.e. AutoCAD and/or MicroStation).
- Familiarity with Bentley Substation Design.
- Ability to visualize Equipment Details, Phase to Ground and Phase to Phase Clearances.
- Ability to multi-task from project to project.
- Ability to visualize parts in 3D without the aid of a computer.
- An Associates Degree in Computer Aided Design.
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology, including the ability to relate various equipment to a technical design.