Company Overview: Milhouse Engineering & Construction is a Chicago-based firm with 16 years of experience in the Aviation, Facilities, Gas, Power, Transportation, and Water/Wastewater sectors. Milhouse has experienced phenomenal growth evolving into a professional, full-service engineering and architectural consulting firm to provide Civil, Construction, Electrical, Mechanical, Environmental, Heavy Industry, and Structural engineering services along with Architectural services. With more than 200 professionals and offices in multiple locations across the country, Milhouse commits to delivering quality services on budget on schedule with integrity to clients in the federal, private and public sectors. Milhouse provides the highest level of total customer satisfaction by listening to, and responding to every client, and utilizing best business and technology practices. By developing and utilizing some of the industry's "Best in Class" talent, Milhouse has received numerous awards and recognitions, including being named one of the 2017 winners of the "Chicago's 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For" award for the 13th year in a row.
Milhouse is seeking candidates for its Newark, NJ office. Performs complex design and project engineering on substation projects for utility companies across the nation. The Senior Substation Engineer will lead protective system designs, physical layout designs, and calculations, as well as coordinate with other disciplines on substation projects. Focus will be on the delivery of substation automation systems for our high voltage substation projects. Typical projects include working within multi-disciplinary teams to assist in developing efficient and reliable solutions for intricate substation projects.
Duties Include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate / communicate project status with client representative and others
- Design to client and regulatory requirements.
- Manage mid to large size projects and programs
- The design and delivery of green and brown field high voltage electrical substation project
- Develop and maintain project documentation regarding protection and control design and construction
- Support the development of plans & sections, details, control building layouts, P&C one line diagram, AC/DC schematics, control panel layout and wiring diagram, station service AC/DC distribution diagram, bill of material, cable schedule, etc.
- Keep Milhouse Engineering management advised of all quality
- Schedule and budget variances in a timely manner.
- Manage project subordinates and/or other project/discipline resources to quality, schedule and budget requirements.
- Vendor drawing review and disposition.
- Maintaining project files.
- Creating and enforcing project quality plan.
- Data and document entry into various platforms.
- Reporting safety, health and quality issues to management.
- Prepare contract amendments, change order documentation, and claims documentation.
- Assist management as directed.
- Consistently produce high quality of work
- Ability to consistently work independently
- Advanced presentation, written, verbal communication skills
Minimal Education and Experience
- Four year technical degree from an ABET accredited institution.
- Professional registration (or plan to obtain within 2 years).
- Five (5) years of protection & control / substation design engineering experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel as well as ACAD or MicroStation and Revit.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Familiar with discipline specific design software and design management systems.
- Familiar with Grounding Calculations
Additional Desirable Education and Experience
- Memberships and active participation in discipline specific professional organizations such as IEEE.
- Experience with power system studies such as short circuit and coordination studies.
- Experience with preparing relay settings.
- Familiarity with applicable IEEE / EIC codes and standards.
- Understanding of CAD software.
- Ability to estimate, plan, and schedule substation projects
- Ability to support proposal activities
- Valid Driver's License
Required After Employment Pre-Requisites Prior to Field Assignment:
- OSHA 10 Hour Certification.
- First aid Training