- Provide leadership, direction and technical guidance to a team of structural engineers (detailers, engineers, senior engineers), to ensure that quality technical services are provided to clients and that technical work meets production targets.
- Performs analysis, design and structural reviews on a variety of design and design-build projects involving bridges, walls, culverts and other miscellaneous highway structures.
- Provides the expertise of a seasoned structural engineer to all conventional areas and applies advanced concepts and techniques to unconventional engineering problems with little to minimal direction
- Serves as structural discipline lead and manages structural related project production for a variety of highway and related type projects (city, county, DOT, toll agency, private)
- Staff administration:
- Identifies current and future staffing needs based upon project requirements.
- Recommends staffing needs and supports the recruiting process to bring new candidates on board.
- Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with direct reports.
- Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development.
- Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and company objectives.
- Ensures staff compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Project and Production Management:
- Ensure appropriate staff allocation to projects in consideration of project schedules, budgets, key milestone dates and work products.
- Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the operating unit.
- Reviews project QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits on projects
- Promotes technical excellence:
- Maintains visibility and professional currency by actively participating in professional and civic organizations and encourages staff to do the same.
- Works with Practice and Technical Directors to design and implement development tracks for technical staff, with a focus on building technical excellence at all levels of the organization.
- Marketing and business development:
- Supports pursuing new project opportunities and maintains contacts with current and prospective clients
- Assists in proposals, pursuits, and contract negotiations.
- May manage projects or serve as lead for structures discipline work on projects.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil engineering from a recognized Institute. Master of Science in Structures preferred.
- 10 years minimum experience on a variety of bridge types (structural steel, prestressed) with five years’ experience in engineer of record role.
- Working Knowledge of software’s such as Microstation, AUTOCAD, Mathcad and structural analysis tools is required.
- Familiarity with design and plans production tools.
- experience with design-build delivery preferred.
- Highly desired: 5 years’ experience with segmental bridges, and/or curved spliced concrete U-beam bridges.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to manage individuals and teams, provide leadership, and manage project production.
- Must have business vision, excellent communication skills, and be able to represent the firm effectively to clients, key public officials, and the community in general.
- Professional registration is required; Florida PE or ability to obtain FL PE within 6 months of hire.