Job Description :
Plan, conduct and report on helicopter flight tests with respect to structures and dynamics.
Our responsibilities include initial envelope expansion and development tests, flight loads/strain and vibration surveys, dynamic stability tests and structural oversight of tests performed by other disciplines.
Test planning function involves determining measurement and flight condition requirements necessary to safely provide evaluation, qualification and certification data.
These details are written into published test plans. Test conduct involves briefing flight and ground crews and providing real-time telemetry monitoring of critical parameters.
Large volumes of gathered flight test data are processed and analyzed to support development and/or certification/qualification. Test results, conclusions and recommendations are published in reports.
Five years of experience in aircraft structures or helicopter dynamics (either applied or theoretical) is required.Structural flight test data analysis OR flutter or dynamics analysis experience is preferred.
Key skills and knowledge required are:
• Analytical thinking and problem solving, communication (both written and oral),
• Aviation knowledge
• Technical writing
• Computer skills (Microsoft Office, Matlab, VBA)• Experience in test engineering, rotary wing design and airplane or helicopter piloting considered a plus.
Note: This position involves significant teamwork and coordination with flight test co-workers in a variety of disciplines (pilots, mechanics, inspectors, instrumentation and data technicians), qualification or certification authority representatives, and subject matter expert design/test engineers.
Good interpersonal skills are imperative. Personal flexibility is required to support unusual working hours and travel to conduct off-site testing.
- Must currently have or be capable of successfully completing an NCIC criminal background check to access Pax NAS.
- Must have a valid photo ID (driver's license + social security card or birth certificate OR US passport).
- Must have valid driver's license/vehicle insurance to drive on base at Pax NAS.This position will be primarily located in Patuxent River, MD and is dependent upon the anticipated duration of the CH-53K helicopter test program, which is currently planned to start Q2 2017
* and end in Q3 2019. The employee will initially begin this assignment working at the Development Flight Center in Jupiter, FL until approximately Q2 2017 when the program transitions to Patuxent River. At the conclusion of the CH-53K helicopter test program, the employee may be offered the opportunity to relocate to the Development Flight Center to support future flight test programs, pending business conditions.
*Based on current test plan schedule.