Harris Group is seeking a licensed, dynamic, self-driven Structural Engineer to join our Portland, Oregon location.
Relationships are the key to our success! We are looking for a team member who can work independently, collaborate on a team, and provide mentorship and leadership to support the growth of Harris Group.
Harris Group is an engineering consulting firm with locations across the US. Harris Group provides engineering in nearly every discipline and offers varied and diverse projects across an array of industries that inspire professional development and growth.
Harris Group is seeking a licensed Engineer who enjoys industrial facility projects and enjoys working in a dynamic team, often collaborating directly with clients. This person will interpret project scope and design structural components for new and for improvement of existing facilities within the project established budget and schedule. The ideal candidate will have experience with industrial facility design, greenfield, and retrofit projects, with an emphasis on manufacturing facilities, chemical process industries, pulp and paper, oil and gas, and/or similar industrial industries.
- Understand and practice client-focused design service values and continuous focus on quality.
- Research, plan, and design code compliant structural solutions that often require novel concepts and approaches within a multi-discipline team to meet project expectations (technical, operational, aesthetic, construction) for a wide range of industrial facilities, often with client requirements that exceed typical code minimums.
- Design of building and non-building structures.
- Conduct detail calculations of loads, pressures, stresses and strains of structural components and document results with supporting design basis information using drawings, specifications, computer models, and other design and construction documents.
- Execute structural engineering work collaboratively with Harris Group staff in our several offices. Cooperate with and guide co-workers in efficient production of work products that meet quality standards.
- Serve as technical resource on design issues and engineering theories, concepts, principles, and processes for structural integrity and seismic strength.
- Produce directly and via delegation the calculations, reports, AutoCAD or Revit drawings, presentations, and other forms of engineering project communication needed for stakeholders.
- Estimate and manage effort required by self and others to accomplish structural design work within project constraints (scope, quality, schedule, budget).
- Assist in preparation and presentation of proposals, including scope of services, fees, and work approach.
- Represent Harris Group at client meetings, communications, and industry peers.
- Provide on-site construction phase observation and assistance services.
B.S. in ABET accredited Civil or Structural Engineering program with 8-12 years of relevant experience. NCEES record preferred.
- Licensed Oregon Professional Engineer Civil branch (PE civil) or licensed Oregon Professional Structural Engineer (SE).
- Ability and desire to sit for the 16 hour NCEES SE exam within two years, if not currently licensed as an SE.
- Demonstrated ability to apply structural engineering knowledge and techniques for industrial capital projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experienced working closely with drafters and modelers to produce quality drawings.
- Leadership skills and ability to work directly with prospects, clients, vendors, and constructors.
- Demonstrated ability to work within set budgets and deadlines for structural engineering tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use relevant software such as STAAD, Enercalc, Microsoft Office to efficiently produce work results.
- Ability to pass client badging and screening processes are required.