About the business:
Sun Life Storage Services provides an Enterprise Class data protection and management service including high availability, high performance, and cost effectiveness via an efficiently managed storage and backup environment.
About the role
The Senior Storage Administrator is accountable to participate and deliver in the planning of tactical and strategic storage designs as well as providing the operational standards, storage configurations and appropriate technical oversight to meet industry design best practice including storage technology infrastructuresupport.
Overall responsibility requires expert knowledge of the technical streams associated with disk, tape, and relevant systems management technologies. This also includes the restoration of service and assistance in identification of the root cause of any problems that may appear within the environment.
- Participates in the planning, testing, evaluation and implementation of disk and tape software products and utilities
- Drives and champions the design, build and testing of new environments and modifications or enhancements to storage platforms for improved performance and availability
- Provides accurate sizing and costings for all net new projects, upgrades and system or platform enhancements within a prescribed level of tolerance
- Creates detailed design, build and operational documentation related to storage
- Conducts significant research with vendors related to storage products and options
- Participates in key departmental initiatives, including site backup exercises
- Computer Science degree and/or equivalent work experience
- Professional designations from SNIA, EMC, IBM or Brocade are desirable
- 7-10 years’ experience in storage related software and/or hardware support
- Expert knowledge of supported products and platforms including EMC, Brocade and IBM storage platforms VMAX,VNX, XtremIO, RecoverPoint, VPLEX, CENTERA, Brocade 8510/7800.
- Expert knowledge of supported software products and management platforms such as EMC Unisphere, EMC XMS, EMC SRDF, Brocade CMCNE, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager.
- Demonstrated expert understanding of storage and backup provisioning technologies (Thin Provisioning, De-duplication, Compression).
- Adopt Sun Life DevOps model to automate the storage infrastructure.
- Strong scripting/development knowledge (Ex. Bash/Python/Ruby)
- Experience with configuration management – Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Bitbucket, etc.
- Ability to identify and effectively engage appropriate activities in response to complex and/or urgent requirements.
- Strong communication, presentation and facilitation skills
- Understanding and familiarity with knowledge management best practices.
- Understanding Project Management Life Cycles.
- Understanding of Problem Management, Change Management, Implementation Processes, Configuration and Release Management methodologies (ITIL)
- Expert knowledge of storage industry standards and best practice
- Working understanding of Problem Management, Change Management, Implementation Processes, Configuration and Release Management methodologies